Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Lighting => Topic started by: djordjezivaljevic on February 10, 2017, 04:01:44 pm

Title: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 10, 2017, 04:01:44 pm
Dear all,

I will travel from Montenegro (Europe) to Argentina in middle of March, to do personal project shooting some portraits. I want to bring with me my Bron Move1200 L with Para 88 . I have zero experience traveling with airplane with light equipment, so I would highly appreciate any advice from you. I assume that I will not be allowed to bring two bags onboard (camera bag with bron bag)...so what are your suggestions? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for you time reading this.

Love.
Djordje
Title: Re: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: UlfKrentz on February 11, 2017, 01:51:35 pm
Check with your flight carrier, you might most probably not even be allowed to check in the move if you have a spare power pack due to it´s lithium ion batteries but have to take it on board. Cabin crew will most likely take care of it. To travel with a smaller bag and save discussions (it might be argued it could be used as weapon) it might be a good idea to separate the para and have it in the checked baggage though. The charger is multi voltage so you should be fine.
Title: Re: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: rxchaos on February 12, 2017, 12:05:10 pm
Quote
I will travel from Montenegro (Europe) to Argentina in middle of March, to do personal project shooting some portraits. I want to bring with me my Bron Move1200 L with Para 88 . I have zero experience traveling with airplane with light equipment, so I would highly appreciate any advice from you. I assume that I will not be allowed to bring two bags onboard (camera bag with bron bag)...so what are your suggestions? I would appreciate any advice.

I've traveled with my Move1200kit (2 heads) and Para88 between Boston, London & Edinburgh a few times and have not had any issues. Here's the process I adapted...

- I did not use the backpack that the Move1200kit came with. Instead I packed  the powerpack, 2 heads, extn cable and charger, in a separate camera equipment bag (Thinktank or Tenba) that was within the checkin-dimensions.  I assumed the airline wasn't going to let me carry the Broncolor bag on board. 
- I also removed the battery from the Move1200 and flashtubes from the heads and put them in the same bag as the powerpack
- I was told by the airline to only have one battery in each checked in bag, so I put the spare battery in the bag with the Para
- The Para88 was in the bag that came with it. At the three airports the airline had me put the Para bag in the oversize/sports_equipmnent conveyer. 
- I also put a copy of the 'Certification for Lithium Battery' that came with the kit and the invoices in the bag.

I hope you find this helpful.

-c
Title: Re: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 12, 2017, 03:06:00 pm
I've traveled with my Move1200kit (2 heads) and Para88 between Boston, London & Edinburgh a few times and have not had any issues. Here's the process I adapted...

- I did not use the backpack that the Move1200kit came with. Instead I packed  the powerpack, 2 heads, extn cable and charger, in a separate camera equipment bag (Thinktank or Tenba) that was within the checkin-dimensions.  I assumed the airline wasn't going to let me carry the Broncolor bag on board. 
- I also removed the battery from the Move1200 and flashtubes from the heads and put them in the same bag as the powerpack
- I was told by the airline to only have one battery in each checked in bag, so I put the spare battery in the bag with the Para
- The Para88 was in the bag that came with it. At the three airports the airline had me put the Para bag in the oversize/sports_equipmnent conveyer. 
- I also put a copy of the 'Certification for Lithium Battery' that came with the kit and the invoices in the bag.

I hope you find this helpful.

-c

Thank you rxchaos. Very helpful advises.
Title: Re: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: UlfKrentz on February 13, 2017, 03:56:09 am
That was basically what I suggested... Just to be clear: The para 88 is not "cabin size" and it will depend on goodwill if it will be accepted as sport luggage. (Most likely it will, but what is plan B, if not?) You have to take all your lithium batteries on board. Be sure you can show the move is working photographic equipment and you have the conformity papers with you and you should be fine.
Title: Re: Traveling oversea with Broncolor Move 1200L and Para 88
Post by: vampire on March 31, 2017, 01:20:12 pm
You can also get a golf club travel case for the para. I use one for my 220 and that way they don't charge you for overweight luggage!