Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Colorado David on February 04, 2017, 01:13:20 am

Title: Vapor Trails?
Post by: Colorado David on February 04, 2017, 01:13:20 am
I was taught many years ago (like forty) that vapor trails ruin an otherwise beautiful landscape image. When I was shooting film, I would hurry to try to complete my composition if I saw an airplane heading for my bit of sky. Since digital, I would still prefer to capture the pure image without a vapor trail, but have cloned them out also. Just so everyone knows, I'm not talking about any images posted here. Recently I've seen quite a few landscape images posted in discussion groups that have prominent vapor trails. Has the general consensus changed and no one told me?
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: Tony Jay on February 04, 2017, 01:57:01 am
Maybe it hasn't really changed but in some parts of the world it is hard to find a bit of sky that isn't criss-crossed with vapour trails at any time.
Luckily, in my part of Australia, as well as other places that I like to shoot, vapour trails are fortuitously rare.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: graeme on February 04, 2017, 02:27:38 am
I quite like them, but I wouldn't really describe myself as a landscape photographer.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: thierrylegros396 on February 04, 2017, 11:46:18 am
Maybe it hasn't really changed but in some parts of the world it is hard to find a bit of sky that isn't criss-crossed with vapour trails at any time.
Luckily, in my part of Australia, as well as other places that I like to shoot, vapour trails are fortuitously rare.

Tony Jay

Oh what a lucky man ;) ;)

Thierry
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: maddogmurph on February 04, 2017, 11:43:47 pm
I quite like them, but I wouldn't really describe myself as a landscape photographer.

Yeah, they totally make my images...  ::)
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: Larry Heath on February 06, 2017, 11:04:29 am
Come on guys get with the program. Those aren’t vapor trails; those are chemtrails as any decent conspiracy theorist will be glad to explain. Meant to pacify/control/sterilize the populace of the world or some such.

As to there appearance in landscape images, I can take them or leave them. Singles might work ok as a picture element, but having them going six ways to Sunday, that pretty much sucks.

Later Larry
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: JohnBeasley on February 06, 2017, 11:48:46 am
Come on guys get with the program. Those aren’t vapor trails; those are chemtrails as any decent conspiracy theorist will be glad to explain. Meant to pacify/control/sterilize the populace of the world or some such.


Haha what does it say about me that I assumed this tread was going to be about chemtrails..... pleasantly surprised :)
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: MattBurt on February 06, 2017, 03:54:13 pm
I use them as needed as image elements but won't hesitate to clone out a contrail chemtrail ;) if it detracts from my image. If so I'll try to take the shot without them. My otherwise pretty remote Colorado location is under a lot of flight paths and sometimes I may not even notice one until I'm editing.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: MattBurt on February 06, 2017, 03:59:19 pm
Sometimes we get skies like this.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7467/16063123798_6deee2cae7_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qtrH5j)IMGP1320-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/qtrH5j) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: graeme on February 06, 2017, 04:55:31 pm
Yeah, they totally make my images...  ::)

That image works for me.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: MattBurt on February 06, 2017, 05:04:06 pm
That image works for me.

Yeah, me too. The sky wouldn't have as much interest without them. But I guess it depends on the shot you are after vs. what you get.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: graeme on February 06, 2017, 05:17:28 pm
Sometimes we get skies like this.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7467/16063123798_6deee2cae7_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qtrH5j)IMGP1320-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/qtrH5j) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

That's lovely Matt.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: robertDthomas on February 10, 2017, 01:28:05 pm
Not sure if they were strange clouds or vapor trails but I like the effect it had on my sunrise
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 10, 2017, 01:43:47 pm
That's lovely Matt.
+1, 2,  or 3!
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 10, 2017, 01:45:10 pm
Not sure if they were strange clouds or vapor trails but I like the effect it had on my sunrise
Very nice!
If they were vapor trails, they had just enough time to melt sufficiently to look gorgeous.
Title: Re: Vapor Trails?
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 10, 2017, 03:30:06 pm
Normally I avoid them, but sometimes they are helpful, as in this (https://www.flickr.com/photos/59795859@N00/8774762450/in/album-72157630103924810/) image on flickr.