Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: djordjezivaljevic on February 01, 2017, 06:56:18 pm

Title: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 01, 2017, 06:56:18 pm
Dear all,

First thank you for time reading this. I'll be as short as I can.
Year ago I sold my Hasselblad H2 with P45+ back. I needed cash so I decided to sell that and went to D800 + 2 Sigma Art 1.4 Lenses 50 and 24. I was satisfied but not fully, of course. I want to go back to medium, especially for my personal projects that I will shoot this summer. I have fine deal for 645+ p30+ and 80 2.8 LS, but have no experience with that digital back and lens.

If any of you can share some of your thoughts and experience I would appreciate very much. Did you find any "issue" because it has 1.3 factor? I wasn't able to find any full size photos from that dig. back.

I mainly shoot outdoor , lifestyle , fashion and portrait work.

Thank you once again .

Djordje
Montenegro, Europe.

www.djordjezivaljevic.com

Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: william on February 01, 2017, 07:18:41 pm
Here's a relevant review that I published many years ago on this very site:

https://luminous-landscape.com/phase-one-p30/

(Since this is now a paid subscription site, it may be behind a paywall...)
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 01, 2017, 07:42:26 pm
Here's a relevant review that I published many years ago on this very site:

https://luminous-landscape.com/phase-one-p30/

(Since this is now a paid subscription site, it may be behind a paywall...)

Thank you William. I just fully read your review.
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: Steve Hendrix on February 02, 2017, 12:09:48 pm
Thank you William. I just fully read your review.


I've always liked the P30+ models and when we've had them in our CPO inventory, they seem to move quickly. The extra couple stops of ISO reach vs other CCD backs help it to stand out. And, as a P+ model, it performs excellent long exposure.


Steve Hendrix/CI
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 03, 2017, 06:04:05 am

I've always liked the P30+ models and when we've had them in our CPO inventory, they seem to move quickly. The extra couple stops of ISO reach vs other CCD backs help it to stand out. And, as a P+ model, it performs excellent long exposure.


Steve Hendrix/CI

Thank you Steve.
In next few months I def wanna go back to MF.
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: danlandoni on February 03, 2017, 09:36:16 am
Love my P30+ back. It's a little old so you already know what to expect from the LCD. The files are great though. I use it almost every day in a commercial environment. Cant speak for the camera and lens since I'm on H but I'm sure its very good

shot these last week on it all natural light
(http://i.imgur.com/WFYVDHK.jpg)
(http://i.imgur.com/sgWdFIj.jpg)
(http://i.imgur.com/jzeuagZ.jpg)
(http://i.imgur.com/jhvXOk0.jpg)
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 03, 2017, 09:44:29 am
Love my P30+ back. It's a little old so you already know what to expect from the LCD. The files are great though. I use it almost every day in a commercial environment. Cant speak for the camera and lens since I'm on H but I'm sure its very good

shot these last week on it all natural light


Thank you Danlandoni. I used to have P45+ on my H1 body so I am aware of LCD "quality". Photos are great and I see that it performs well. Great. Thank you
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: thekeko on February 03, 2017, 11:18:21 am
watch out with extreme high light it may causes so problem I don't have the file here
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: djordjezivaljevic on February 03, 2017, 01:00:30 pm
watch out with extreme high light it may causes so problem I don't have the file here

Tnx thekeko. I'lll have that in mind .
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: bcooter on February 03, 2017, 04:22:09 pm
The p30+ is a great back.   Bulletproof, small screen, kind of like looking at an old polaroid, but if you know your stuff you can shoot it without tethering.

The plus series backs last forever and are so well built.   

The 1.3 crop bothers some people, other's it doesn't I personally don't notice as it's not really 1.3 it's like 1.26 where the older p45+ was like 1.16 or something like that so the difference isn't that drastic.

I would suggest going through a trusted dealer like Capture Intergration as they will stand behind the sale and check it all out before selling.

For the price it's a deal.

IMO

BC
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on February 03, 2017, 04:25:13 pm
Only thing to remember is for tethering you will be needing to go from firewire 400 to 800 to thunderbolt.  And you need to strip the power from it because it will misbehave.  And then just run on batteries.  Once you set that straight the P backs are just as good today as they were when released.  Solid.
Title: Re: Phase One p30+ question / experience
Post by: eronald on February 03, 2017, 09:58:50 pm
Only thing to remember is for tethering you will be needing to go from firewire 400 to 800 to thunderbolt.  And you need to strip the power from it because it will misbehave.  And then just run on batteries.  Once you set that straight the P backs are just as good today as they were when released.  Solid.

The back is very good, but get a recent version of the 645, or better get an H.