Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: mseawell on January 31, 2017, 08:31:51 am

Title: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on January 31, 2017, 08:31:51 am
The entrance to Castle Valley close to Fisher Towers is a stunning place. This was our first time as we followed behind friends who had been previously. But when I looked to the right and saw these canyons I immediately pulled off to get a better look. I loved the massive canyons with the snow capped La Sal Mountains in the background. What an unforgettable sight and I would have never thought years ago while living in Germany I would get the opportunity to live in such proximity to these places of wonder...legends of the summit.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: JohnBeasley on January 31, 2017, 10:06:49 am
Wow, you have a fantastic range of tones going on and beautiful clarity on the cliff face while keeping the colds soft. Really nicely done.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on January 31, 2017, 10:08:48 am
Thanks John. This image was tricky to work on, a bit frustrating at times. Last night I re-attacked it again.

Mark
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: JohnBeasley on January 31, 2017, 10:34:43 am
Ah I know that story all too well. It can get crazy the amount of time spent in front of a screen, but when it works, it makes it all worth while.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on January 31, 2017, 11:26:22 am
Absolutely
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: Tony Jay on January 31, 2017, 05:29:46 pm
Really like this one!
Particularly noteworthy is the apparently clarity and accutance of the background as opposed to the foreground that makes for an intriguing viewing experience.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on January 31, 2017, 10:40:15 pm
Thanks Tony!
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 01, 2017, 03:53:58 am
Excellent succession of planes of interest.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on February 01, 2017, 08:02:45 am
Cheers Paulo!
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 01, 2017, 09:07:14 am
Another beauty, Mark.

Clearly the mountains pulled you to them from Germany, all for our benefit.

Eric
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: mseawell on February 01, 2017, 10:32:27 am
Thanks Eric! We had all better get our photos now before we find oil wells on top of these mountains! Dark days for lovers of the wild places, very dark indeed.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: Colorado David on February 04, 2017, 01:26:07 am
Wow! I shot a video assignment in Castle Valley for a client almost ten years ago. After seeing your image, I should go back to shoot stills.  Beautiful.
Title: Re: Legends of the Summit
Post by: the_marshall_101 on February 04, 2017, 04:56:12 pm
The bottom half I like, the top just looks very over-processed and fake, sorry :(  It's clearly a good shot, just can't get past the sky, personally.