Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: JohnBeasley on January 30, 2017, 05:57:38 pm
-
Hi, my first post here.
Been a big fan of the site for years, but for some reason, never thought to even check for a forum. Going to try be a little more proactive and involved now.
Back in December, I had a wedding in Kilkee, but the night before the madness, I took a wander along the cliffs for sunset.
(Im not going to go into too much detail on how I was half way out to said cliffs only to realise my tripod was in the van.....)
Three times that night, I packed up my bag to leave to be back across the wet rocks before it was pitch black, but each time, I stopped myself, unpacked everything again and took another image. I was beside myself I was so stoked heading back up to the path, but when I got back to the hotel I was just a little under whelmed.
The other morning, I had another go at editing this one, which was one of the last I shot that night.
Im pretty pleased with the result
-
Welcome!
Nice color palette and leading lines. I would be tempted to turn it into an 8x10 ratio, removing the top, and avoiding the horizon smack dab in the middle. That would also accentuate the moon better. Good job anyway.
-
Thanks for the welcome Slobodan, yeah, 8x10 was my first thought on it, I normally prefer is over the 2x3 ratio, but there is just the slightest wispy cloud with a touch of colour on the top right corner that was stopping me. Its not really showing up on the reduced file on the browser, but I swear its there :) I printed it last night just for the sake of a print and it just adds enough for me to keep it.
-
Well, i don't have the street cred' that Slobodan has, but i would have gone the other way, trimming the foreground, and keeping the sky. The image impressed me as about the wispy tones in the clouds more than the repeating patterns in the ground. To each their own and since we both see something we like, don't touch it. How well did the wispy tones in the clouds print ?
Frank
-
Decisions, decisions. Life was simpler with slides.
Lovely shot.
-
I like it as it is. There is a good balance between land and sky, no problem with horizon in the middle IMO.
You may try to add a gradient filter in the sky just to extract a tiny more detail and make it more "alive", but that's it.
-
Well, i don't have the street cred' that Slobodan has, but i would have gone the other way, trimming the foreground, and keeping the sky. The image impressed me as about the wispy tones in the clouds more than the repeating patterns in the ground. To each their own and since we both see something we like, don't touch it. How well did the wispy tones in the clouds print ?
Frank
Thats very interesting Frank, initially, that night while I was sliding round the rocks, it was the strong line pulling me in and the textures on the rocks that caught me, it was only afterwards that the subtlety of the clouds attracted me.
Print wise, Im in the throws of trying different papers for a up coming project, but on the oyster 271, its lovely, their very slight and the semi gloss has retained their detail.
Decisions, decisions. Life was simpler with slides.
Lovely shot.
Haha I think your right Scott, part of me does long to shoot more film for landscapes and try remove myself a little further from the whole processing bit. I seem to be living in my office these days, after editing work for others, its very tough to motivate yourself to work on personal images.
I like it as it is. There is a good balance between land and sky, no problem with horizon in the middle IMO.
You may try to add a gradient filter in the sky just to extract a tiny more detail and make it more "alive", but that's it.
Thanks Paulo, I was very conscious of the horizon in the middle and as I was shooting it, I had planned a 10x8 crop for it, I have already pulled a large amount of detail back from the sky, (I wont hear a bad word said about the 5dsr! Im blown away with what I can get from it) but I might have another punt and see how it pans out.
Thank you all for taking the time to look and the image and provide your feed back. Its fantastic to have some other opinions on a image.
-
A wonderful low key image for your first post. Posting more like this will inch the standards here even up a bit higher than they are now!
-
A wonderful low key image for your first post. Posting more like this will inch the standards here even up a bit higher than they are now!
Well thank you :)
Not going to lie, I was very hesitant to post anything here as it is always a site I have held in high regards so to have my first post well received has been fantastic and I look forward to trying to contribute to the forum overall.
-
Beautiful subjects, color, atmosphere, and framing - I think having a aspect ratio slightly wider than what is shown "maybe" would help this a bit - a little cropping a slight bit off top and/or bottom so it is subtle and you don't lose much. I think one thing you should consider is the very pronounced halo (at least on my monitor) at the upper edge of the rocks in the mid ground left especially - pretty intense.
-
Hey Brandt, your right the banding is there and its one of my pet hates! I had been trying to soften that in PS quite a bit, but that was as close as I got.
I would LOVE to know if someone has a handy way to lessen that? It really is one of those things that grates on me.
-
I think that Brandt was referring to a halo around the rocks in the middle ground (where rocks meet the sea), not banding (which is a different issue - mostly duet to jpeg compression).
If so (halo), it might have been made worse (than it was in PS) also by the jpeg compression. If it exist in PS or LR file as well, my solution is to run a small brush with a negative Clarity along the halo. Those halos are typically a result of excessive Clarity or excessive/inadequate sharpening, so reversing some of that with a small brush might work nicely.
-
It is a nice shot John!
A technique that Slobodan advocates and I have used effectively is to use a negative clarity brush to decrease the local contrast in the halo. Another possibility is to mask the output sharpening at that strong contrast.
Chuck
-
Slobodan is faster than me at the key board. :)
-
Thanks for the replies lads, I feel it was more a luminance thing then sharpening, its a single exposure so I really pulled hard on the highlights, but I will have a play with a minus clarity and see if it helps.
Edit: I should have also added, there had been some bad fringing, I had shot this with the 16-35mm 2.8 mark one.
Im waiting, very impatiently, for my new mark three to arrive at the moment.
-
Nice Shot! Welcome.