Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on January 30, 2017, 12:14:21 pm
-
Bridge over the Tadami River during a snow flurry. Taken near Mishima, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.
Sony A7r with Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II.
-
It is a lovely scene.
I know we had those discussions in the past, about saturation in your images, and that you attributed it to your use of wide-gamut monitors (if my memory serves me well), but in this case this red color is really burning, way above what one would expect in a cloudy weather. Though I am looking at it at my office, Windows, non-profiled monitor, it looks like it was drawn using a red, neon, Sharpie.
-
I agree. That level of red is killing the image.
Is it possible that you are getting cataracts?
That would explain your need to push the colors so much.
Just sayin', you might want to get your eyes checked.
Otherwise, it is a lovely image.
-
I took your image into PS and in Hue/Saturation, I decreased it by -32 in the red channel and it looked great.
-
wandering around the scene, and light very much the island light here at 44° North, it was lowering the luminance levels in red and orange, and then balancing that against a subtle lowering of saturation that brought the almost Chinese cadmium quality of winter light happily into the image of this lovely location writ by weathers~
-
Looks fine to me in Photoshop, oversaturated reds in browser (like every other photo, on every website, to a lesser or greater extent).
-
How does it print ?
Frank
-
How does it print ?
Frank
My printer's broken, so no idea.
Also, it looks like the colour profile for the initial JPEG didn't save properly - just fixed it.
-
Much better on my PA241W.
What was the focus distance ? Was is close in ?
-
Lens was at 155mm.
Google Earth tells me it was 780m from the camera to the bridge.
-
I think my phone does a better job of representing a photo's true appearance than my computer.
Everything in Photoshop looks dull and undersaturated, even if it prints well. Everything in browser (Firefox, supposedly set as fully colour-managed, and checks out as such on test pages) looks very red and super-saturated. Samsung Galaxy browser looks good.
Firefox used to work well. I wonder if they disabled the colour management system at the same time they turned it into a memory hog that crashes every half-hour, once memory use hits around 3GB?
-
Aloha,
In the art world this red would be called an alien color and be applauded.
In classical art a completely foreign color is used to attract the eye.
So in my opinion;
Brilliantly done!
Let it shine!
-
The red bridge doesn't bother me as much as the red vegetation at each end. Otherwise very fine.
-
The red bridge doesn't bother me as much as the red vegetation at each end. Otherwise very fine.
Dead leaves on deciduous trees are orange-red. What colour would you like me to make them?
-
I have no problem with lively red, I have seen bridges and other objects that are painted like that.
Lovely shot.
-
Dead leaves on deciduous trees are orange-red. What colour would you like me to make them?
I haven't experienced such a lively shade in these conditions.
-
I think that this is an instance of reality v artistic intent. Some of the members that are backing reality have posted images with high saturation in the past, therefore there are double standards on display. I favour the artistic intent by the poster. Well done. :)
-
I think that this is an instance of reality v artistic intent. Some of the members that are backing reality have posted images with high saturation in the past, therefore there are double standards on display. I favour the artistic intent by the poster. Well done. :)
What the eye and brain see is very different from what a camera sensor sees. The camera simply counts the photons which make it through the Bayer filter in front of it. The eye and brain add a lot more processing to the final interpretation, including input from other senses and previous experience - temperature, balance, movement, noise, smell, fear - none of which the camera records. That's why optical illusions work and why movement and perspective in some videos can make people nauseated - the brain needs other, non-visual cues to make sense of them. If you're just going to use whatever comes out of the sensor, without attaching the 'brain' part to the 'eye' part, you may as well use a GoPro and take a still frame from the video.
-
It is a beautiful scene.
-
I quite like it as well.