Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on January 26, 2017, 11:56:04 pm

Title: Bixby
Post by: maddogmurph on January 26, 2017, 11:56:04 pm
I went down to get the rare event of the sun coming through the hole at Pfiefer only to find that the entire park system in Big Sur was closed because of flooding. Naturally I snuck in 007 James Bond style waiting for the construction crew to finish, illegally parking and abandoning my car by climbing a hill to watch them, and then running down to the beach to catch the last light.  Frankly I didn't find it that interesting. Maybe it was the light, or that I failed at nailing a pretty complex shot. But overall, I didn't find my photo's of this interesting. I did however end up with the moon coming up and creating a halo. I had really wished I could somehow be on the beach beneath bixby bridge at this moment as I think the moon halo would have matched up nearly perfectly with the arch in the bridge. I have no idea how to get down there however, and I had just fallen at the beach and wasn't going to try to figure it out in the dark. The cliffs are steep. So this is what I got. And boy did it give me trouble from a processing standpoint. I'm still acutely aware of the imperfections.

Thoughts?
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 27, 2017, 12:15:30 am
Nice shot under the circumstances.
Your suffering is our reward.
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 27, 2017, 03:56:14 am
Close Encounters style, I like it.
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: mlewis on January 27, 2017, 05:27:47 am
I like it a lot!
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: HSakols on January 27, 2017, 09:53:16 am
I've seen a lot of photos of the Bixby Bridge and this is a favorite! 
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 27, 2017, 10:27:46 am
A phenomenal shot, congrats!
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 28, 2017, 12:36:39 pm
Outstanding shot, probably only one of its kind for Bixby.
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: maddogmurph on January 28, 2017, 04:17:32 pm
Outstanding shot, probably only one of its kind for Bixby.

That's perhaps the only reason I think I kind of liked it. Most pictures of Icon's just don't thrill me. But this one hasn't been well received in general by the masses. Not shocking, I'm not sure I find anything super compelling about it myself. But I honestly wouldn't know what else to add. If I had nailed it from the beach perhaps...
Title: Re: Bixby
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 29, 2017, 04:33:07 am
I'm unfamiliar with this spot, but your image has a lot of punch.