Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on January 21, 2017, 10:51:04 am

Title: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Bob_B on January 21, 2017, 10:51:04 am
Two additional photos of late afternoon scenes on the Patapsco River. Handheld panoramas of 5 and 6 images, respectively.

Thank you for viewing. Please feel free to offer your comments.

Bob
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: luxborealis on January 21, 2017, 11:15:12 am
Neither "grabs" me. It could be the cold tone, but there is also nothing to draw me into the photo.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: sarrasani on January 21, 2017, 08:02:01 pm
I like them.   No strong contrasts, no amazing and unique situation, no strange lighting, no spectacular PP, no single subject evidence... but I like this kind of image. Also (and more) if managed without "fireworks" but with good taste and classic/photo-specific inspiration, as here.
Well done, and all the best,
Sandro
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Tony Jay on January 22, 2017, 12:45:17 am
I like the idea of what you are doing a lot.

That said, I feel that in both cases these panoramas the dearth of detail in the foreground creates a kind of barrier to investigating and appreciating the detail that is in the image.
(Perhaps this is part of what Terry was alluding to.)
I do not feel the tone of the image is a negative in any way.

I think a portfolio-grade image is not far away!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Bob_B on January 22, 2017, 08:15:17 am
Thank you Terry, Sandro and Tony. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, especially about the lack of foreground. Truth be known, I failed in getting good foreground rocks in focus, while retaining enough detail in the background due to low light conditions. I've never tried to focus stack panoramas, but may consider it on my next visit to the river. Again, I appreciate your thoughts.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: stamper on January 22, 2017, 09:20:26 am
I don't "see" a lack of foreground, just two well processed fine images.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: MattBurt on January 22, 2017, 11:07:10 am
Nicely put together but I find my eyes wanting some leading lines or similar compositional technique to pull me in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Bob_B on January 22, 2017, 02:44:09 pm
Thanks stamper and Matt.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 24, 2017, 05:36:48 am
1 seems to work best, with the verticals and reflections leading to the horizontal elements. Good seeing.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 24, 2017, 06:24:59 am
I prefer #2; there is a diagonal line in the river/rocks, that reads the image from left to right.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Bob_B on January 24, 2017, 08:22:19 am
Scott and Paulo: Thank you for your comments. Happy to know there's a consensus  :P
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: maddogmurph on January 26, 2017, 03:21:01 am
I'd go focus stack and use a 10 stop for Long exposures... Although I'm not sure the shot is worth all that work, it's a good excersize for when you're on top of something truly epic that warrants all that effort. See my recent post called "Rockfoam" - this is a focus stack LE. It took hours and lots of banging of my head on the keyboard.
Title: Re: River Rocks Panos
Post by: Bob_B on January 26, 2017, 08:40:26 am
I'd go focus stack and use a 10 stop for Long exposures... Although I'm not sure the shot is worth all that work, it's a good excersize for when you're on top of something truly epic that warrants all that effort. See my recent post called "Rockfoam" - this is a focus stack LE. It took hours and lots of banging of my head on the keyboard.

Thanks maddogmurph for your suggestions. I plan to give them a try once the river is receded from our recent rains.