Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: D White on January 16, 2017, 06:50:35 pm

Title: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: D White on January 16, 2017, 06:50:35 pm
I am taking delivery of a Canon Pro-2000 in early February when back from a trip. It is a replacement for my failed Epson 7900. This leaves me with a number of rolls of Epson hot press bright in my stock. As I have not yet ventured into creating my own profiles, is there a straight forward source for a profile for this paper on the Canon? Obviously Epson is not in the business of providing these. I liked this paper and may want to continue with it.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 16, 2017, 07:30:05 pm
I am taking delivery of a Canon Pro-2000 in early February when back from a trip. It is a replacement for my failed Epson 7900. This leaves me with a number of rolls of Epson hot press bright in my stock. As I have not yet ventured into creating my own profiles, is there a straight forward source for a profile for this paper on the Canon? Obviously Epson is not in the business of providing these. I liked this paper and may want to continue with it.

No there is not. You will need to get a custom profile made.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: Panagiotis on January 17, 2017, 02:39:53 am
I am taking delivery of a Canon Pro-2000 in early February when back from a trip. It is a replacement for my failed Epson 7900. This leaves me with a number of rolls of Epson hot press bright in my stock. As I have not yet ventured into creating my own profiles, is there a straight forward source for a profile for this paper on the Canon? Obviously Epson is not in the business of providing these. I liked this paper and may want to continue with it.

Hi, I know it's a crude method but you can try the Canson Infinity profiles for your Canon pro-2000. I read that Epson hot press bright is cotton rag bright white paper. Rag photographique profile maybe?
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 17, 2017, 04:50:35 am
Based on the paper white spectral plots you could try ICC profiles of the two papers shown in the attached screenshot. If the manufacturer profiles already exist for your printer.
Paper white does not tell all as the media preset ink load and absorption of the paper coating creates differences in color mixing so with different paper qualities you never know. So far I did not find a clone for your Epson paper.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: D White on January 17, 2017, 11:59:59 pm
Thanks for the input. I will experiment and if not satisfactory I will shelve the paper until I get into profile creation.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 18, 2017, 12:08:24 am
Thanks for the input. I will experiment and if not satisfactory I will shelve the paper until I get into profile creation.

If you're keen to use that paper, for something in the range of 75~100 dollars you can get a very high quality custom profile made by providers using equipment for which you would be needing to pay at least $1600.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: unesco on January 18, 2017, 05:12:46 am
Epson Hot Press is very different from all other cotton rags so I doubt other paper profiles would fit.
I agree with Mark, go for good custom profile.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: D White on January 18, 2017, 03:53:02 pm
I guess this is one negative with switching to the Canon Pro, loosing my exposure to the Epson branded papers unless I make or farm out profiling. To date, I have not extensively experimented with many fine art matte papers, staying with a select few that I get to know better.

If anyone wants to offer an opinion on papers they feel are similar to the Hot Press Bright for a starting point. I do not like any material that gives off excessive fibers.

Matte is my preferred material as it feels more fine art to me and avoids excessive viewing reflections. It also is a rebellion to the years of printing glossy Ciba P-3 with silver masking or home brew compensating developers.

Off course it will now be much easier to experiment back and forth with matte vs gloss on the Canon.

And if anyone knows why fine art papers cost as much a a sheet of Ciba did with all its silver emulsion layers? Overall, printing is an expensive habit.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 18, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
You could try Canon's Premium Pro Matte paper, or better still, if you can find some, the new Premium Fine Art Smooth - great paper. Neither of them shed.
Title: Re: Profiles for Epson paper on Canon Pro-2000
Post by: unesco on January 19, 2017, 03:12:02 pm
If anyone wants to offer an opinion on papers they feel are similar to the Hot Press Bright for a starting point. I do not like any material that gives off excessive fibers.

although, I use around two dozens of different cotton and a-cellulose rags of major paper manufacturers, I do not know any which would be of similar (excellent) behavior like hot press (at least in Europe). it is very unique paper