Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on January 16, 2017, 04:51:10 pm

Title: River Rock
Post by: Bob_B on January 16, 2017, 04:51:10 pm
The Patapsco River (Baltimore County, MD USA) remains free from ice and snow. While the banks are muddy and the rocks slippery, it is still pleasant to hike along the river. Of course, my camera was with me, and here's one of the photographs taken from that trek.

Thank you for viewing, and please leave comments.

Bob
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: francois on January 17, 2017, 04:06:24 am
Beached whale? I like it, even with the cold dark mood.
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 17, 2017, 04:15:15 am
Sombre and mysterious, well done. I find the trunk and twigs on the left bottom a bit distracting, but I suppose nothing could be done about it at the time of shooting.
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Bob_B on January 17, 2017, 08:20:12 am
Francois and Paulo: Thank you for your comments.
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 17, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
I'm not mad on the toning, but otherwise it's a good shot.

Jeremy
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Tony Jay on January 18, 2017, 04:54:18 am
I actually like the toning - it complements the feeling of a cold, overcast, and dark scene really well.
The whole image just screams "the dark night of winter!"

Now that I think of it - have you ever done any cinematography?
The lighting effect that you have created in this still image many a DP would pay good money for to recreate in a movie scene!

Congratulations

Tony Jay
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: sarrasani on January 18, 2017, 08:11:52 am
another example of images matching my tastes.   subject, composition, tones, all works IMHO very well.
All the best,
sandro
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Bob_B on January 18, 2017, 08:28:21 am
...
Now that I think of it - have you ever done any cinematography?
The lighting effect that you have created in this still image many a DP would pay good money for to recreate in a movie scene!

Congratulations

Tony Jay

Thanks Tony. I'm certain M. Night Shyamalan will soon be contacting me.  ;)
Title: Re: River Rock
Post by: Bob_B on January 18, 2017, 08:28:47 am
Sandro, thank you for your kind words.