Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on January 15, 2017, 09:34:17 am

Title: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: KMRennie on January 15, 2017, 09:34:17 am
This one is a bit Lord of the Rings. Just a tiny fall of snow, now melted. This was shot about 30 min after sunset. I eagerly await some real snow this winter. Ken
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 15, 2017, 10:17:06 am
 Outstanding Ken!!

  Kevin in CT
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 15, 2017, 10:33:50 am
+1
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 15, 2017, 12:00:19 pm
+2.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 15, 2017, 12:44:03 pm
+3
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 15, 2017, 01:45:17 pm
Bravo. Don't hold your breath for more snow, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 15, 2017, 02:58:55 pm
Looks good, but as you say, we could do with some more snow.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: mecrox on January 15, 2017, 03:04:18 pm
This one is a bit Lord of the Rings. Just a tiny fall of snow, now melted. This was shot about 30 min after sunset. I eagerly await some real snow this winter. Ken

I love the way you have got twilight across the hills - hard to get that tonality right in my experience, and you have :)
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 16, 2017, 06:06:16 am
Wonderful scene.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 16, 2017, 08:53:58 am
Dramatic and evocative.  A fine image.

Regards,
Dale V.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: KMRennie on January 16, 2017, 06:08:05 pm
Thanks everybody. I was initially disappointed with the image as I had failed to capture the almost radioactive deep red in the sky. I suppose I just need to get used to not pushing controls to the right and letting the actual image shine through. This image taken from about 150m away from the sunset and was taken in Jan 2016. A little more snow and the temp was much lower. As you can see the sun had just started to kiss the top of the hills and light up the clouds behind the hills. All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2017, 06:49:25 pm
They are both very nice. The first one you showed is clearly more dramatic, but I could imagine preferring the second sometimes when I am in a different mood.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: MattBurt on January 17, 2017, 12:19:17 am
Both very nice. Can't add anything that hasn't been said.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: francois on January 17, 2017, 03:48:27 am
Both are stunning but I prefer the sunrise shot. The mood is not as dramatic and I feel more comfortable with it.
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: Tony Jay on January 18, 2017, 04:59:22 am
I didn't comment on the first image when you first posted it - all the comments already there covered what I wanted to say.

I will now say that #1 is an extraordinarily good image with dramatic light.
#2 the sunrise image, for me anyway, is even better, despite the much more subtle light.

Maybe I fool myself by saying this but #2 would the connoisseurs choice!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: Bob_B on January 18, 2017, 08:40:39 am
I spent many minutes savoring both extraordinary photos. The majesty in those scenes is overwhelming!
Title: Re: Cumbria sunset and now sunrise added
Post by: KMRennie on January 18, 2017, 09:55:50 am
Thanks for persuaing me that there is any merit in either image. I have tweaked them a little. On the sunset image I have removed the brake lights from the LHS and I have gone back into the sunrise shot and applied a lot of highlight reduction to some of the peaks caught in the first rays of light. My memory is that they were coloured but I have allowed them to burn out to white. I will try and print them but I am afraid that they will turn into a dull mess so a lot of soft proofing with a little localised shadow lifting may be needed. Then I await some judge telling me that the image would be improved with just "a touch of HDR" to put detail in the shadows and then explaining how to do it badly. Oh well everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Ken