Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on January 14, 2017, 07:59:18 pm

Title: That Arch Again
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on January 14, 2017, 07:59:18 pm
Nothing original here, but needed to have this in my collection.  "Focused" on making the cleanest high resolution, noise free, sunrise images.  Double exposure, multi stitch, taken in late December to avoid having the sun block the mountain range.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/713/32161138812_14c0c61248_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/QZYf6j)Breaking the Arch mk ii (https://flic.kr/p/QZYf6j) by Stephen Lim (https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_tl/), on Flickr

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/645/32173940415_47edc1bd83_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/R26RyB)Heaven and Earth Overturned (https://flic.kr/p/R26RyB) by Stephen Lim (https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_tl/), on Flickr

Here is a stitched single exposure.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/736/31183487493_35e05eaa84_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Pvzwq6)Cold Winter Morning (https://flic.kr/p/Pvzwq6) by Stephen Lim (https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_tl/), on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_tl/albums
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 15, 2017, 06:42:09 am
Good work, I prefer the last one.
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Bob_B on January 15, 2017, 09:21:03 am
Good work, I prefer the last one.
Me too. The lighting on the canyon walls and under the arch really makes it.
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: MattBurt on January 15, 2017, 10:35:48 am
Yes the last for me too. I love the highlights on the rocks in the foreground and how you fit the mountains in. Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: framah on January 17, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
Agree!! Just go ahead and throw the other 2 away. ;D

That last one is perfect!!!
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 18, 2017, 03:34:53 am
It's a gorgeous scene and I for one don't tire of seeing photographs of it. I agree the last one is the best, but I don't think it's perfect: it would be improved by removal of the green splodge slap in the middle (the ones on the right don't bother me so much, but that one is really distracting).

Jeremy
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Tony Jay on January 18, 2017, 04:32:10 am
Each a very fine image in its own right but #3 for me by some way - the light in that image goes from fantastic to perfect!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on January 19, 2017, 12:23:48 am
It's a gorgeous scene and I for one don't tire of seeing photographs of it. I agree the last one is the best, but I don't think it's perfect: it would be improved by removal of the green splodge slap in the middle (the ones on the right don't bother me so much, but that one is really distracting).

Jeremy

Now that you mention it, I agree with you.
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: luxborealis on January 21, 2017, 11:24:13 am
I prefer the second: Heaven and Earth Overturned.

Showing more of the arch in the top left helps create greater depth. The arch is seems to be more than just a frame, but part of the landscape. There also seems to be more to see through the arch with a more appropriate amount of sky than the other two.

Overall, though, I find all them appear over-processed (at least to me, as a photographer, perhaps not to the general public). In a strong light situation like this, there should be more deeper shadow on "this" side of the arch.
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on January 24, 2017, 12:36:55 am
Lux - I agree that I am definitely pushing the boundaries on the processing - In an effort to show more detail, I boosted the shadows more which the double exposure allows (manual HDR).
Title: Re: That Arch Again
Post by: JohnBeasley on January 30, 2017, 04:44:01 pm
The national parks over there really are so so impressive.
Lovely image.