Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on January 13, 2017, 03:24:43 pm

Title: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: Rob C on January 13, 2017, 03:24:43 pm
There goes another one of us.

A great photographer very unfairly blasted later on as photographer, success being put down to his royal connection, but for anyone who was aware of him in Vogue etc. before he got married, that was very obviously mistaken and very misplaced opinion: the guy was as good as anybody else doing that stuff in the day.

For the record: I think he made the most provocative (and glamorous) photograph of Helen Mirren I've ever seen: standing in front of a makeup mirror, almost wearing a basque. Which sort of showed that he wasn't just able to hack it with flouncy dresses...

RIP
Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: pearlstreet on January 13, 2017, 04:05:29 pm
Some of his work here - https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/jan/13/lord-snowdon-a-career-in-photography
Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 13, 2017, 04:25:34 pm
... I think he made the most provocative (and glamorous) photograph of Helen Mirren I've ever seen.

That'll be this one

Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 13, 2017, 07:55:59 pm
For the record: I think he made the most provocative (and glamorous) photograph of Helen Mirren I've ever seen:

Agreed.  Provocative and glamorous it certainly is. Superb!
Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: mediumcool on January 14, 2017, 02:09:05 am
I consider Snowdon to have been a better photographer than Litchfield, but that’s not a particularly difficult thing to have achieved. His marrying into The Firm was arguably his best move. Fame brings access.
Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: Rob C on January 14, 2017, 05:34:19 am
I consider Snowdon to have been a better photographer than Litchfield, but that’s not a particularly difficult thing to have achieved. His marrying into The Firm was arguably his best move. Fame brings access.

I was hoping nobody would come to this spot and make that comment. It is both mistaken and not based on the published reality of either, of which I have seen quite a lot; I have cast and worked with many of the same Lichfield models doing similar shoots. You have got it wrong, my man, quite apart from the inability to spell his name properly.  And Snowdon was already 'connected', for what that's worth.

Beyond writing this, I will not ruin this thread by letting myself be diverted into argument.

Rob C
Title: Re: Lord Snowdon is gone.
Post by: GrahamBy on January 14, 2017, 01:53:50 pm
The portrait of Meryl Streep at the head of the Guardian article is stunning.