Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on January 09, 2017, 10:16:25 am

Title: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on January 09, 2017, 10:16:25 am
Taken at Bow Fiddle Rock 3 Jan this year pointing at the Arctic . One long exposure for the lovers of that genre. A very windy day but luckily for me the waves were sweeping left to right along the coast so I only got wet a couple of times. OK I am having trouble counting but have you ever tried counting so close to a Scottish new year? Ken
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 09, 2017, 12:32:46 pm
Wild and splendid. The first is my favorite, with that wave coming in about to drench the photographer and the viewer.
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on January 09, 2017, 01:09:20 pm
Great job, great location! :D Hope you had something to warm up after the session...
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Telecaster on January 09, 2017, 04:57:07 pm
Re. warming up: I'd recommend a wee nip (or three) of Michael's fav, The Glenrothes. Finished off, on New Year's Eve, the bottle I bought last summer in tribute to him.  :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Tony Jay on January 09, 2017, 06:20:10 pm
It doesn't matter that you can't count :o because you can shoot!
And my haven't you captured three (I think I got that right!) grand images.

Even the long exposure version dramatically captures the wild dynamism of the scene.

My only hope is that you didn't put life and limb on the line - shooting scenes like that can be as dangerous as rock fishing!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on January 09, 2017, 07:13:07 pm
Thanks for the comments. I was a bit slapdashed with my processing of the colour image so here is a version without the more obvious artefacts. I was very safe although I did get a bit wet. The waves really did not sweep up the beach very far and I watched them for a while to see where they got to. Whisky was Jura single malt, whisper it I don't really like highland malts, I may not get back into the country come independence. Ken
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 10, 2017, 04:04:21 am
Thanks for the comments. I was a bit slapdashed with my processing of the colour image so here is a version without the more obvious artefacts. I was very safe although I did get a bit wet. The waves really did not sweep up the beach very far and I watched them for a while to see where they got to. Whisky was Jura single malt, whisper it I don't really like highland malts, I may not get back into the country come independence. Ken

Count yourself lucky if there isn't a hit squad travelling to England even now!

Three great shots, Ken: I think the first is outstanding.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: stamper on January 10, 2017, 05:35:16 am
The praise is well merited, especially about the Glenrothes!
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Bob_B on January 10, 2017, 08:16:17 am
Simply "Wow!" Beautiful and dramatic, especially the first photo.
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: francois on January 10, 2017, 09:47:20 am
Powerful, wild and brutal. I like this set a lot, my favorite is the first one. It gives the impression that the viewer will be soaked a split-second. Good to read that you were in a safe place.
Well done.
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 10, 2017, 12:31:38 pm
Powerful, wild and brutal. I like this set a lot, my favorite is the first one. It gives the impression that the viewer will be soaked a split-second. Good to read that you were in a safe place.
Well done.

Yes, all good but the stone like waves in 1 are attention grabbing.
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on January 10, 2017, 02:29:32 pm
I am a little gobsmacked by the response. I like 1 & 3 the most but prbably prefer 3 but I am a poor critic of my own work. This is a slight reworking of #1 because I found the image too bright with all the foam in the mid ground. I must have been very close to this wave as I have cut the bottom off of the image and I was using a 28mm lens. Later I tried to take images from the cliff tops, looking down on the rock but I couldn't: 1 get a sharp shot as the wind buffeted the camera and 2 the wind pulled my glasses off my face on numerous occasions 3 standing on a cliff top in a severe gale (force9) is more stupid than standing less than 10 ft from breaking waves. Sorry to use you as a vox pop but which do you prefer? -2 is the original -3 the reworked.
Ken
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: davidgp on January 11, 2017, 02:25:10 am

Nice photographs!!!

Next time in Scotland I need to go up north...


Re. warming up: I'd recommend a wee nip (or three) of Michael's fav, The Glenrothes. Finished off, on New Year's Eve, the bottle I bought last summer in tribute to him.  :)

-Dave-

Taking note... Next month or so I will finish a bottle of Talisker, it could be the next one to try...

David

Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 11, 2017, 02:03:37 pm
Great work.
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: John R on January 12, 2017, 06:34:06 am
Yes, number 3 is my favourite also. Love the contrast between the blue-grey of the stormy clouds and dark green of the ocean.

JR
Title: Re: Two from the North of Scotland
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 12, 2017, 07:59:12 am
 Beautiful seen!! I keep thinking of the story of Jamaica Inn when seeing these shots. Great job!!


Kevin in CT