Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on January 07, 2017, 04:46:56 pm
-
Hi,
This posting says that the Fuji GFX has both electronic shutter and first electronic curtain, great news.
The first curtain of a focal plane shutter always causes a camera vibration due to conservation of momentum. This can be eliminated largely by an electronic first shutter curtain.
A fully electronic shutter (ES) is implemented as a combination of sweeping reset and sweeping readout. ES is totally vibration free but quiet slow and would cause distortion on moving objects, if they are large enough and move enough.
I would call it great news.
Best regards
Erik
-
I talked with the rep about EFC and ES, he didn't seem to fully understand the impact of such an acheivement.
The menu was set to german, so I suppose the translation might not be totally correct:
There are indeed three settings, which I would describe as:
- mechanical shutter
- mechanical and electronic shutter (=EFC; you could hear the shutter closing at the end of the exposure time)
- electronic shutter only (=ES; totally silent)
The rep clearly stated that is was still a beta firmware, but already far developped.
I own a IQ3 100 myself and am very convinced about the advantages of an EFC / ES for certain types of photography. As a landscape photographer I couldn't be happier about this developpement.
Best
Jost
-
If true this is magnificent. It would also shows how deeper they understand the sensor compared to everyone else is using it. OR they have more modern version of it ? OR a more basic version, which they adapted to their needs.
If really true I find it stunning and great news.
Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
-
Erik,
I would be curious as to your estimate of the fastest scan time they could achieve? I think the IQ3 100 is something like 1.3 seconds, I assume the smaller sensor would make that faster, (maybe around 30%?).
-
http://www.fujirumors.com/big-fujifilm-gfx-recap-everything-know-rgb-color-histogram-base-iso-100-af-points-much/
ES is listed as a fact. Patrick is no wrong very often.
19th is not far away. But KUDOS to Fuji.
Paul Caldwell
-
http://www.fujirumors.com/big-fujifilm-gfx-recap-everything-know-rgb-color-histogram-base-iso-100-af-points-much/
ES is listed as a fact. Patrick is no wrong very often.
19th is not far away. But KUDOS to Fuji.
Paul Caldwell
Apparently, there is no EFCS. There is no mention of that.
-
Hi Wayne,
I think it would be difficult to estimate that. It may depend also on camera electronics. The Sony A7rII seems to have a sweep time of 1/14s, but they go down to 12-bits depth in ES mode.
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/how-fast-is-the-sony-17rii-silent-shutter/
The 30% faster assumption is a reasonable one, as each column contains something like 41% more pixels on the IQ3-100 MP sensor compared to the 50 MP sensor.
Best regards
Erik
Erik,
I would be curious as to your estimate of the fastest scan time they could achieve? I think the IQ3 100 is something like 1.3 seconds, I assume the smaller sensor would make that faster, (maybe around 30%?).
-
Wow!
If the scan time of the ES of the GFX is almost as good as that of the A7R-II then Hasselblad X1D might be in trouble should they choose not to implement it!
-
This is looking pretty good. Might have to lay down some ca$h on camera gear this year.
-Dave-
-
EFC is excellent and extremely useful. Full Electronic would be a massive achievement, but I will hold off for comment until I see how bad the rolling shutter is on such a large sensor. There are plenty of small cameras which have terrible rolling shutter effects so we shall see.