Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2017, 03:07:47 pm

Title: Steamy Beach
Post by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2017, 03:07:47 pm
Air Temp 32F with 15 kt wind...Water Temp - Much Warmer - and yes, it gets so much colder up north, but this is FLORIDA - WTF - Tonight will be in the teens.....Arrrggghhh

Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2017, 06:18:10 pm
It does look cold, even from Boston, where we are in the teens with 6-12" of snow coming down, and blizzard conditions on the coast.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Tony Jay on January 07, 2017, 06:53:42 pm
Air Temp 32F with 15 kt wind...Water Temp - Much Warmer - and yes, it gets so much colder up north, but this is FLORIDA - WTF - Tonight will be in the teens.....Arrrggghhh
Chris I know you are hating the weather and all but that is one striking image!

I live in a similar tropical/subtropical location (Australian east coast) at roughly similar latitude to you.
I have never experienced what you describe in your post (air temperatures just never get down that far here).
I don't know exactly how the light was but the image has a slightly desaturated look that really enhances the impression of the cold (Eric also commented on this).

It is a very pleasing image at an aesthetic level (all elements combine very well) but it also documents a fascinating natural phenomenon - all in all a winner!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2017, 07:37:07 pm
Chris I know you are hating the weather and all but that is one striking image!

I live in a similar tropical/subtropical location (Australian east coast) at roughly similar latitude to you.
I have never experienced what you describe in your post (air temperatures just never get down that far here).
I don't know exactly how the light was but the image has a slightly desaturated look that really enhances the impression of the cold (Eric also commented on this).

It is a very pleasing image at an aesthetic level (all elements combine very well) but it also documents a fascinating natural phenomenon - all in all a winner!

Tony Jay

I worked the blue channel down a tad and did an expanded midtones adjustment, again pushing the mid blues down a bit more to enhance the "cold" factor. The wind was the real killer out there which brought the temps down to around 19 degrees F and tonight we are looking at similar temps hitting in the 12-15 degree F with wind chill factor. Four days ago, I was running around in a t-shirt and shorts.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2017, 08:57:19 pm
I forgot to add that I like the photo. The lone figure, bundled up but looking very cold adds to the effect.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2017, 09:16:47 pm
This is a hand stitched pano of what I shot this morning, sans the lone figure who I removed to complete the feeling of isolation...but it's just too long an image and size to be useful. Oh well.

Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 08, 2017, 06:13:37 am
Good one, Chris. 32 can certainly be cold.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 08, 2017, 07:28:11 am
Good image, evokes solitude and mistery.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: Bob_B on January 08, 2017, 09:19:19 am
Very nice. I agree with Eric about the lone figure.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: sarrasani on January 08, 2017, 09:32:42 am
wonderful soft and rich tones/transitions, and pleasurable subject and compo. I like it.
sandro
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: maddogmurph on January 08, 2017, 01:50:53 pm
Clean shot... should send that bad boy to the underarmor marketing team.
Title: Re: Steamy Beach
Post by: framah on January 08, 2017, 01:53:57 pm
We call it sea smoke in heah in Maine. 8)