Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: nma on January 04, 2017, 09:42:31 pm

Title: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: nma on January 04, 2017, 09:42:31 pm
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Iceland/Hraunfossar-and-horses-near-Reyk/i-cKvzTB7/0/M/_A000149-Edit-Edit-M.jpg)

Thoughts
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Tony Jay on January 04, 2017, 10:03:35 pm
The word "symphony" comes to mind.
I think the reason is that the vertical parts of the waterfall remind one a little of organ pipes, particularly as a pattern.
The apparent maelstrom in the foreground, to continue the metaphor, might be the crashing crescendo of a great orchestral piece.

A pretty abstract view of a waterfall and plunge pool I know, and maybe everyone else just sees that, but there you go.

my $0.02 worth

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Sean H on January 04, 2017, 10:27:34 pm
A nice work of art.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 05, 2017, 02:33:57 am
I like the contrasting movement. I might emphasize it by cropping off the top rocks.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 05, 2017, 04:28:29 am
Good conversion and shutter speed. Personally, I think that the format is not is a bit "undecided"; meaning, I want to see a more wider format, or as an alternative, I want to see a perfect 1:1 format.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Bob_B on January 05, 2017, 08:14:54 am
+1.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Brad Smith on January 05, 2017, 09:07:53 am
Personally I like the layering: horizontal water flow at the top, vertical in the middle, back to horizontal at the bottom. To emphasize this, you might consider a crop at the right, just to the right of the large white vertical flow at the right, leading to a more square format suggested by Paulo.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 05, 2017, 11:04:51 am
Superb image. Creatively and artistically interpreted. Would love to see a big print of this.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 05, 2017, 12:46:23 pm
Superb image. Creatively and artistically interpreted. Would love to see a big print of this.
+1.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: nma on January 05, 2017, 02:06:32 pm
I appreciate the comments and encouragement: Tony Jay for his imagery about my image and SDWilson for his complement I am also grateful for the critiques of Scott, Paulo  Bob B and Peter McLennen, much to think about. And nice to have the encouragement of members, Sean H, Brad Smith and Eric Myrvaagnes Thanks for commenting.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Brookie on January 05, 2017, 06:52:09 pm
Very nice image. I probably would not crop it from what you have shown. FWIW, IF I were to crop it I'd consider shaving some off the bottom, not the top.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: sarrasani on January 05, 2017, 06:56:02 pm
Curious....10 minutes ago I have finished to elaborate some waterfalls image, and they have the same tone and tuning management of these yours.
But here the waterfalls are more spectacular, and I like much these your images. Excellent for my tastes.
all the best,
sandro
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: John R on January 05, 2017, 10:29:45 pm
Yes good analogy, Tony. Wonderful symphony of rushing water.

JR
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Camerajim on January 06, 2017, 10:57:15 am
That is a unique take on an oft-photographed site. I struggle with long exposure waterfalls to keep a sense of the power of the falls, along with their grace. I think you accomplished that. Would it be bad form to ask about your exposure and processing?
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: nma on January 06, 2017, 02:52:31 pm

CamperJim,

I shot this image with the Olympus E-M1 and the PanaLeica f2.8 35-100 Zoom, at ISO 200 and f16 and 1/8 sec. The raw image was opened in LR and minor adjustments were made. The image was converted to B&W with the Nik Silver EFX software, using a high contrast template as the starting point. Further adjustments were made in LR, mainly use of the brush tool to emphasize highlight and dark tones, attempting to give structure to the swirling waters.
Title: Re: Hraunfossar, Iceland
Post by: Camerajim on January 06, 2017, 04:12:18 pm
Thanks for the info. You hit the sweet spot on the shutter speed for this scene. I'll have to give 1/8 a try for my next waterfall, though I would have to go far to find something comparable to this one.