Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Neil Williams on December 29, 2016, 02:35:54 pm
-
Today I demoed the new X1D. I was told that the new X1D will now come without the GPS being built in...... the GPS will be a separate external unit.
I was also not that keen on the way Hasselblad has set it up where you move the focus points using the front and rear wheels....... it felt aquared to me, but I guess it will be something that one wold get used to
-
Some demo users with the latest FW report that you can now move the AF point by taping where you want to focus on the rear LCD
-
Some demo users with the latest FW report that you can now move the AF point by taping where you want to focus on the rear LCD
Yes you can...... I did that today
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
The AF works pretty well. Hold the AF button a few seconds and you are shown all the focus points available. Touch on the rear screen for the one you want to use. It's strange that a camera this expensive doesn't have AF points that auto choose like other DSLR and mirrorless cameras. I have done quite a bit of shooting with the camera. Did ISO noise shots the other day. Only thing left on my list are some video clips and portrait type of shots. I'll then start putting together the report. Based on my limited use with the Fuji GFX I think that the GFX may have some features, that will over shadow the X1D. As far a GS goes. I can see now GPS data in the meta data of the file. There are two plastic parts on the top of the camera one is for wifi and another for GPS. I'll see if I can get an answer on GPS as they told me it was part of the internals on the camera.
I'll say the interface using the touch screen is quite nice. AF doesn't always work. Seems it get's confused a lot. Also, it takes a few seconds for the new AF point once selected to register and focus on the new spot selected. I am using HB's latest firmware.
Have a good new year.
-
Nice, firmware seems to be approaching beta level. ;)
Cheers,
Bernard
-
... I can see now GPS data in the meta data of the file. There are two plastic ports on the top of the camera one is for wifi and another for GPS....
Does this statement concern the X1D or the GFX, totally unclear? And why plastic ports for Wifi and GPS external devices?? At least Wifi is internal part of the electronics, similar to H6D, isn't it?
-
There are two plastic ports on the top of the camera one is for wifi and another for GPS.
Hey Kevin, I don't see two plastic ports ... on http://www.hasselblad.com/x1d
What do You mean exact ?
Jochen
-
My fault, lack of caffeine - Plastic Parts on either side of the accessory shoe.
-
These two "plastic parts" supposedly have WiFi and GPS components underneath. Metal would impede/prevent signal reception/transmission.
(http://www.joecolson.com/photos/x1d_top_view.jpg)
-
These two "plastic parts" supposedly have WiFi and GPS components underneath. Metal would impede/prevent signal reception/transmission.
Thanks for the picture.
This make it understandable.
Jochen
-
Based on my limited use with the Fuji GFX I think that the GFX may have some features, that will over shadow the X1D.
Based on all other preliminary reports, I'm thinking this might end up being the case for me. The X1D is small and elegantly designed externally, but I'm guessing that the GFX will be the real workhorse. Of course only personal testing will tell the story....I look forward to trying both. Seems the GFX formal announcement will be on January 19th (Fuji Rumors site).
Jeff
-
Hasselblad officially confirms built-in GPS device and GPS data will automatically be embedded in metadata, see @ 5'34'' posted December 28:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1tyQO2Xec
Probably with latest camera firmware 1.14.2 and lens firmware 0.5.3, both on H's support site.
-
he is also saying that the LCD is now 120k dots 3 inch wide (original specs were 920k dots as in H6D) @2'50''. Also that with the lens adapter and newer H lenses full functionality of autofocus and exposure is retained.
getting better and better.... ;D, 2017 shall come!
-
Hasselblad officially confirms built-in GPS device and GPS data will automatically be embedded in metadata, see @ 5'34'' posted December 28:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1tyQO2Xec
Probably with latest camera firmware 1.14.2 and lens firmware 0.5.3, both on H's support site.
When he describes GPS, he refers to a "GPS module" that "fits into the hot shoe", contrary to the original announcement/spec that suggested a built-in GPS capability.
he is also saying that the LCD is now 120k dots 3 inch wide (original specs were 920k dots as in H6D) @2'50''. Also that with the lens adapter and newer H lenses full functionality of autofocus and exposure is retained.
getting better and better.... ;D, 2017 shall come!
He says "920K dot", not "120K dot".
Sorry to rain on your (and my) parade, but it appears that GPS will not be built-in and that the rear LCD is as originally spec'ed. I've played with almost 100 X1D RAW files so far (provided by people who have used demo cameras) and none of them have GPS metadata in the EXIF. :(
-
When he describes GPS, he refers to a "GPS module" that "fits into the hot shoe", contrary to the original announcement/spec that suggested a built-in GPS capability.
He says "920K dot", not "120K dot".
Sorry to rain on your (and my) parade, but it appears that GPS will not be built-in and that the rear LCD is as originally spec'ed. I've played with almost 100 X1D RAW files so far (provided by people who have used demo cameras) and none of them have GPS metadata in the EXIF. :(
yes, you are right, unfortunately. listened again closely....too bad, but hey, doesn't matter...still waiting