Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: roscoetuff on December 21, 2016, 05:35:36 pm

Title: Printing Smudge
Post by: roscoetuff on December 21, 2016, 05:35:36 pm
Yes "smudge" not smut. Definitely attempting a landscape "art" image. And it's "G-r-e-a-t until you see... what the heck is that?"

I'm printing a B&W image on Red River Ultra 4.0 Satin 13 X 19 and finding an odd mark I can't find in the original image - even at 400% magnification. It's more or less the same place. I've printed the same image on Hahnemuhle Baryta with no similar indicator. I'm using the same Auto Sheet Feed and not the Fine Art rear feed, but there's no indication I should do otherwise? For me, this is something new... and maybe not the right place to post it (Printing? Processing?), but the image is otherwise one I'm happy with. The printer is new...  and this is actually the first large print I've run, so it may be the printer... or it could be the paper. Looking over 3 prints, the mark is a bit different on each one. I've initially thought it might be an imperfection in the paper and/or due to my mishandling, but it is in the same place every time - though the shape is a bit different. Because it is in the upper right hand corner where the print first begins its path through the printer, I'm inclined to think it may be a roller issue... but I need more testing with a different box of paper, more images, etc. to reach any sort of conclusion.

BTW, the camera sensor is clean. Lenses were clean, too. And again, there's no indication I can find on the TIFF (examined under magnification in MS Window's picture viewer) or on the original RAW itself (examined in Capture One under magnification). Earlier versions printed on 8 X 11 Baryta came out fine with absolutely NO indication of a smudge. I guess I'm wondering how to identify and narrow the possible sources of the problem? Yes... it almost looks like a sensor smudge... but it's not or it'd show up in the original. Could it be dust? I'll test a different color image this evening just to see what happens with a different box of paper... but I'm curious whether printer issues of this sort are common or not? Also curious whether one of the features of Baryta that is compelling is the way it runs through the printer vs. a larger, less firm and rather floppy satin finished "Ultra 4.0 Satin" which conceivably could be too slippery and cause the printer to "grab" the paper? It could be a whole box of paper, too.

Thoughts? Commiseration? Audible shrugs? "Curses of a newby!", suggestions?
Title: Re: Printing Smudge
Post by: EricV on December 21, 2016, 05:59:21 pm
Good start to the troubleshooting process.  If the mark is not in the original image, that probably eliminates the camera and image processing and narrows it down to paper or printer.  Some further experiments which could isolate the problem:
Title: Re: Printing Smudge
Post by: Wayne Fox on December 21, 2016, 06:10:05 pm
what printer? obviously if it changes at all then it’s most likely an issue with the printer or paper handling.

as mentioned first thing is to rotate the image 180 when printing it.  If smudge is still in the same corner on the print then you’ve ruled out physical issues of the printer. If it’s the same physical corner, then you know there is a paper handling issue. 

If it’s mat paper/MK ink it doesn’t take much to rub the surface and get a visual smudge.
Title: Re: Printing Smudge
Post by: roscoetuff on December 21, 2016, 11:37:48 pm
These are good ideas. THanks!

BTW, good point. I didn't meniton the printer is an Epson Surecolor P800. Love the output. Sure hope to debug this thing!
Title: Re: Printing Smudge
Post by: roscoetuff on December 22, 2016, 08:49:31 am
So I guess part of the education here is that there are and will be imperfections in the paper?

I printed the image upside down / reversed or whatever you want to call it. Amazing. Not a trace. Not a whip. Yes, I had two sheets where the printer mysteriously dodged out and I had to cancel the job for unknown reasons - so two scratched pieces of paper. But then I rebooted and everything ran beautifully. The image? Spotless. As now long departed wild game keeper liked to put it, "Isn't she gorgeous?!!!!"  :)

Thanks for the suggestions.