Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on December 17, 2016, 09:33:27 am

Title: Taking an Order
Post by: RSL on December 17, 2016, 09:33:27 am
I usually do street in B&W but this one needs color The guy actually has purple hair.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 17, 2016, 01:30:46 pm
Nice one, Russ.
I'll admit I'd be tempted to at least try a version that is all monochrome (perhaps warm or sepia-toned) except for his face and hair in full color.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: BobDavid on December 17, 2016, 03:56:46 pm
I usually do street in B&W but this one needs color The guy actually has purple hair.

Purple in a sea of golden light. ... I suspect the guy eats a lot of grapes.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: francois on December 18, 2016, 07:25:15 am
Fantastic, the golden light goes well with the guy's hair.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: stamper on December 18, 2016, 07:55:38 am
A fine image!
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 18, 2016, 09:13:24 am
Very Jan "RSL" Vermeer. Your seeing and subtle references are very enjoyable. Francois mentions golden light, yes and pleasantly directional speaking of the larger world outside. A lot to love here.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: RSL on December 18, 2016, 09:23:40 am
Thanks all.

Eric, I checked a B&W version. A lot gets lost there, mainly because it isn't an exercise in graphics. Also, I think the light is an important part of the picture. If you look closely at the white mats on the pictures you can see that although the automatic color sensing on the Pen-F is pretty darn good the light in the picture is, as Bob points out, a bit on the warm side -- which is exactly what I want in this picture. That's the way the place made me feel -- warm.

An aside: I won't tell you where this restaurant is, but as you can see the waitpersons are something less than formal. I'm convinced our own waiter -- not the guy in the picture -- was pretty stoned. And having spent a lot of time around my wife's art gallery and studio in the old days, where potters and various other artists were working and bumbling around, I'm familiar with stoned.
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 18, 2016, 01:29:24 pm
And having spent a lot of time around my wife's art gallery and studio in the old days, where potters and various other artists were working and bumbling around, I'm familiar with stoned.
Giving another new meaning to the word "Potters?"
Title: Re: Taking an Order
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 19, 2016, 03:46:30 am
Well seen!

Cheers,
Bernard