Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on December 14, 2016, 11:53:39 am

Title: Two from Bavaria
Post by: KMRennie on December 14, 2016, 11:53:39 am
Two images taken a few minutes before the skies opened and I had to hide from the torrential downpour.
Ken
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 14, 2016, 12:51:18 pm
Very fine. I prefer the square version.
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: Otto Phocus on December 14, 2016, 01:12:50 pm
Me too.  The second one grabs me more than the first one.
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: Harald L on December 14, 2016, 04:43:46 pm
Just for the matter of having a choice I would like to see the first one with less dramatic clouds in order to give the nice tree more impact.
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: brandtb on December 14, 2016, 06:02:50 pm
Very nice that second one
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: luxborealis on December 14, 2016, 08:27:29 pm
Just for the matter of having a choice I would like to see the first one with less dramatic clouds in order to give the nice tree more impact.

Good point.

Although I, too, prefer the square format with the lighter clouds descending to the tree, the first has great potential too if the tree wasn't quite so "lost" looking.
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: N80 on December 15, 2016, 10:51:53 am
Excellent. Second one for me too. I've tried this type of shot in my locale and failed every time. Great work and great weather for it.
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 15, 2016, 12:56:28 pm
Magnificent sky in both. I join the crowd in preferring the second, in part I suppose because it has more sky.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: KMRennie on December 15, 2016, 03:53:37 pm
I have calmed the sky down a bit on the first shot with a bit of blur. It should allow your eye to rest more easily on the foreground and tree.
Ken
Title: Re: Two from Bavaria
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 15, 2016, 07:52:08 pm
I think your new version of the first shot is an improvement, but the second shot is still the winner for me. With the "peripheral" detail not there, and being closer to the tree, there's more "immediacy". I feel like I'm there, in the scene. Excellent!