Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: darrenr on July 12, 2006, 05:20:37 pm

Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: darrenr on July 12, 2006, 05:20:37 pm
For a month or two I've been using google earth and having fun with it, making notes of where I've been, etc - including of where I take what photos (none of my cameras have a GPS builtin/connector.)

This has given me a whole new perspective on reviewing photos I've taken - it can give me some ideas about what I "missed" and/or if I go back, what could be other good places to shoot from - there's often precious little time, when travelling, to explore.

Have others made played with google earth much?
Or found it useful to make notes of where pics have been taken, review or planning further trips?

To this, I'd like to add I came across a very strange "community" in a town outside of Beijing called Nankou.  All of the houses here have walls and a roof, but no windows, doors or interior.  I found this place by accident, on the return of a bike trip, so I was a bit too tired (and hot) to try and think about how to shoot it well...but if you're in the area and either have a good driver or drive yourself, put the numbers below into Google Earth to see the layout and where it is relative to everything else.
40°13'49.16"N
116° 8'55.66"E

what i think happened here is that someone started a "low density" housing project, others in government found out and shut it down but never pulled the buildings down, just let the grass grow.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: Mike Boden on July 12, 2006, 08:53:27 pm
I've used Google Earth to a certain degree. In fact, I used it last weekend to scout the coast line of San Pedro the day before I drove down there, specifically where the rock formations are along the coast and in the water. Considering that I had never been there before and my plan was to get there in the dark before sunrise, this really helped. Anyway, the resolution isn't the best, but I was quite surprised how well it worked out. Furthermore, I used it to also find the names of the roads in the area and how to get to the exact spot I wanted.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: mwookie on February 27, 2007, 10:08:32 am
I use google earth all the time for my photography. However, most of it is dreaming of places to shoot.

For example the other day I was scrolling around the pacific and found an amazing set of islands called Tavalu (sp?) and I told my wife we were moving there. From above to ocean looks amazing. As it turns out a friend of mine visited there and its actaully a pretty rough place to be (but trully gorgeous). I am not sure that I want to live there, but I would love to shoot there, looks amazing!

In more realistic way I mark what I shot on my handheld GPS/PDA (Gamin's iQue) that has worked out nicely because sometimes I can't remember how I got there.


[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']____________________
"One should never feel any discomfiture at being called great as long as he is not called upon to prove it.."  Charles G Dawes
Company (http://www.irispic.com) – Projects (Sell Stock Photography (http://www.microstockforum.com) – Family Friendly Image Search (http://www.safepix.net))[/span]
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: Hank on February 28, 2007, 10:27:32 am
A good friend is a geologist and uses it extensively.  He popped for the pro version and says the only thing missing is a stereoscopic offset.  In locations with higher definition, he can derive an amazing variety of info, especially with all the shifts and perspective changes possible using the pro version.

I use it more casually in my photography.  For familiar locations I think I "know," it really pays to review for terrain you have overlooked.  There are often some real gems, especially off the beaten path in western national parks.  By tilting and looking at the landscape in relief from the side (pro version), you can actually anticipate what the terrain is going to look like, even going so far as "composing" shots before you ever dirty your boots.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: Peter McLennan on February 28, 2007, 11:32:01 am
I think it's the greatest computer hack in the last five years.  "Maps are a means of organizing wonder" someone once said.  Nowhere is this more true than with Google Earth.  

When our cameras have built-in GPS, this remarkable software will become ever more valuable.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: wolfnowl on February 28, 2007, 10:01:57 pm
I also use it to map places I've been to, places I'd like to visit, etc...  A great package overall...

Mike.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: pulpmojo on March 04, 2007, 05:05:19 pm
I love google earth for this kind of stuff. Last time I went down to Guadalajara I was only down there for a week and I can't say I was as productive photographicaly as I would of liked. The city is so freakin' large it's confusing just making your way around, not to mention the common lack of road signs. With google earth (and the help of a few other resources) I already know exactly were I'm going to go when I'm down there this summer.
Title: Using google earth to spot/share locations
Post by: juanpizarro on March 04, 2007, 05:49:30 pm
I, too, love Google Earth for exploring new locations before I go and use it regularly prior to visiting a new area.

In addition, I added Google Earth links to OutdoorPhotoOp (OPO)so that photographers who use OPO can easily bring up an interesting location in Google Earth.  On the front page, there is a link that brings up all the locations on OPO, or on each locations' individual page there is a button that will bring up that specific location in Google Earth.

Here is the homepage (http://www.outdoorphotoop.com/), and here is the kmz file with all the locations (http://www.featherphotography.com/misc/OutdoorPhotoOp.com.kmz).

John