Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: michael ellis on December 07, 2016, 12:04:34 pm

Title: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 07, 2016, 12:04:34 pm
I have made 4 versions of this scene and am having real trouble coming up with a preference. To me all 4 work but are still a bit different. Maybe a quadtych (not sure that's a real word)? Please comment if you have a preference.

Thanks,
Michael
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: adias on December 07, 2016, 03:25:07 pm
#3
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Telecaster on December 07, 2016, 03:43:37 pm
I like #3 too. IMO the tonal delineation of the color versions is, in this case, a plus.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 07, 2016, 04:14:03 pm
Hi Dave and Adias-

Thank you for replying. I am still going back and forth preferring the color one second and the BW the next. The color is easier to read for me while the BW is way more abstract. I notice that you both like the version that is flipped upside down. I think I have also settled on that take but still trying to decide color or not. Once again thank you for letting me know what you think.

Michael
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: RMW on December 07, 2016, 05:56:50 pm
Hi Michael,
Thanks for letting us all see into your creative process.
The color up-side down one is the most enjoyable one for me, too.
It's b&w version doesn't feel as approachable. Could some tinting be effective ?
Richard
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 07, 2016, 06:07:42 pm
#3
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 07, 2016, 06:51:35 pm
Hi Michael,
Thanks for letting us all see into your creative process.
The color up-side down one is the most enjoyable one for me, too.
It's b&w version doesn't feel as approachable. Could some tinting be effective ?
Richard

Hi Richard and Slobadan-

The BW to me seems so much more abstract and I wanted the subject to be somewhat readily interpreted. I haven't tried tinting it. After some thought I think the upside down one (color or BW) works better because the reflections are right side up then, although the perspective of the leaves is wrong. I seem to be able to readily overlook that. Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

Michael
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 07, 2016, 07:21:05 pm
... although the perspective of the leaves is wrong....

And for me, that is the very reason of its attractiveness, the added dimension of trying to figure out whether our mind and eyes are playing a trick on us :) 
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 08, 2016, 12:11:16 am
I prefer both color versions, but I haven't made up my mind which of the two would stay up on my wall longer before I turned it upside down.
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 08, 2016, 02:27:30 am
Another vote for 3.
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: thierrylegros396 on December 08, 2016, 06:43:37 am
Another vote for 3.

+1 without hesitation.

Thierry
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 08, 2016, 08:48:49 am
And for me, that is the very reason of its attractiveness, the added dimension of trying to figure out whether our mind and eyes are playing a trick on us :)

And the color information is pretty important in that regard. In the BW upside down version I still find it difficult to perceive that the leaves are leaves.
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Sean H on December 08, 2016, 01:44:56 pm
Indeed; it is hard for me to choose.

I prefer both color versions, but I haven't made up my mind which of the two would stay up on my wall longer before I turned it upside down.
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: Arlen on December 08, 2016, 02:59:35 pm
I like them all, and would acclaim any of them if seen in isolation. But I see your dilemma in choosing. I'm going to go for B&W, for the reason you stated: they are more abstract. In fact, for the first one in particular, I looked at it a long time trying figure out what it was. And as an abstract, I like the way the tones are distributed in the first one; so that's my first choice.
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 08, 2016, 07:43:50 pm
I like them all, and would acclaim any of them if seen in isolation. But I see your dilemma in choosing. I'm going to go for B&W, for the reason you stated: they are more abstract. In fact, for the first one in particular, I looked at it a long time trying figure out what it was. And as an abstract, I like the way the tones are distributed in the first one; so that's my first choice.

Hi Arlen-
I too found that version to be the most abstract. I sometimes still have to to look at it for a while to figure out what is going on. I find that kind of strange because I am pretty familiar with it by now. I agree with you that the first is the most challenging abstract interpretation. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.
Michael
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: michael ellis on December 08, 2016, 07:49:43 pm
Thank you to all who left their preference or a comment. This exchange really helped me to think about these photos. Ultimately I think I have 2 different pics possibly for 2 different audiences. I made a print today of the color and BW version next to each other. Now I can look at them on paper and turn the whole thing over to see the various versions. I'm pretty sure that #3 will be the color version and #1 the abstract version.
Thanks again.
Michael
Title: Re: Which do you like (if any)?
Post by: HSakols on December 09, 2016, 08:55:14 am
I like the color ones.  Nice work!