Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Osprey on December 04, 2016, 10:16:27 pm

Title: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: Osprey on December 04, 2016, 10:16:27 pm
House in New Orleans.
(http://i.imgur.com/Rbg5aLQ.jpg)
Title: Re: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: Chris Calohan on December 05, 2016, 10:51:26 am
I love infrared so this one does for me in every way.
Title: Re: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 05, 2016, 12:49:11 pm
The IR really works here.
Title: Re: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: N80 on December 05, 2016, 09:08:53 pm
I like it too. I have a Nikon D200 on the shelf that never gets used anymore. I think I can get it converted for around $275. Is it worth it? I don't know. How much would I shoot IR? Probably a lot more than it is getting used now. This image has inspired me to look into this. Nice work and great composition.
Title: Re: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: Rob C on December 06, 2016, 04:15:28 am
I like it too. I have a Nikon D200 on the shelf that never gets used anymore. I think I can get it converted for around $275. Is it worth it? I don't know. How much would I shoot IR? Probably a lot more than it is getting used now. This image has inspired me to look into this. Nice work and great composition.

I have a D200 and a D700. The D700 sits at home doing its nails. Why? I don't really know; the D200 just seems to keep out of the way, even thought I can't accuse its sister of anything specific except being less gritty about life at higher ISO.

Perhaps it's the fault of the lenses: they seem to suit the crop better as focal lengths, at least for the optics that I have from 35mm upwards; 24 is still better on FF.

I wouldn't dream of adapting a camera like that. IMO, IR is like all gimmicks: a trick that does zero for a lost imagination. Cokin made a fortune some decades ago fostering fake as creativity, when all it is is shield, deflection of awareness of lost momentum. Politicians employ such devices all the time.

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: French Quarter New Orleans House
Post by: Osprey on December 06, 2016, 06:34:58 am
I like it too. I have a Nikon D200 on the shelf that never gets used anymore. I think I can get it converted for around $275. Is it worth it? I don't know. How much would I shoot IR? Probably a lot more than it is getting used now. This image has inspired me to look into this. Nice work and great composition.

At least at the 590 nm wavelength, which is what I'm using, IR is much more malleable now in post than it ever was in film days.  It doesn't have to look traditional infrared, even in black and white.