Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on December 04, 2016, 10:47:43 am

Title: Marbled Rock
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on December 04, 2016, 10:47:43 am
Walking in the rain on the beach earlier this year, when I stumbled upon this marbled rock structure, so I setup my gear and waited for the rain to stop, which it did after about 20 minutes but which only lasted for about 10 minutes before the heavens opened once again. Got home later and worked on the image, got it printed on canvas at 30 inches on its longest side as I had a gallery show coming up soon and I was interested to see if anyone liked it. So there I was a only short while later actually hanging this picture on the wall of the gallery, when a local couple walked in, "Oh I really like that" they both said in unison as he opened up his wallet and bought it.

Which is all well and good you might think, as what could be better, but for some weird reason, I do not want or ever intend to print or sell another copy of it.

My dear wife would like to know what the hell is wrong with me and I suppose I would too, as I have now amassed quite a few images that I have printed only once and then sold, but that I never intend to print again?

I am beginning to wonder if I can only like an image up until I get the next one, at which point the previous one is then abandoned?

Dave
Title: Re: Marbled Rock
Post by: stamper on December 04, 2016, 12:37:18 pm
Amazing!
Title: Re: Marbled Rock
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 04, 2016, 12:58:29 pm
A fine image!

Instead of abandoning each of your children as soon as the next one is born, how about setting a small limit instead? Perhaps, never print more than ten, or twenty, of a given photo?
Title: Re: Marbled Rock
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on December 05, 2016, 02:00:02 pm
Amazing!

Thank you  ;)

A fine image!

Instead of abandoning each of your children as soon as the next one is born, how about setting a small limit instead? Perhaps, never print more than ten, or twenty, of a given photo?

Thanks for the suggestion Eric, but I think what I need to do is to remove myself from the printing and selling part of the equation entirely and just upload any completed images that I think are worthwhile onto a stock site that offers customer print sales, that way I can still have my transient love affair with each image, before I upload it and forget about it as I search for the next one.

It seems I get my photographic fix out of finding a subject to photograph and then processing it, but then everything else after that not so much.

Thanks again  :)

Dave