Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on December 03, 2016, 09:40:12 pm

Title: Rocky Mountain National Park
Post by: Colorado_CJ on December 03, 2016, 09:40:12 pm
Its been a while since I've been up to the park.  Normally it takes me 40 minutes or so driving up the canyon to get to the park, but the canyon road has been closed for a few months now while they rebuild it from the flood three years ago.   So now, I have to go a round about way to get to the park, which adds about 45 minutes each way.

Anyway, I went up there for some hiking and photography.  It was windy and cold, which wasn't too comfortable, but make for some interesting photo opportunities with all the blowing snow. 

First I'm going to post photos from one camera.  These are black and white IR photos, only using the light spectrum of 720nm and higher.  I had another camera along and will post those later, they'll be on color and taken close to the same areas as these first photos.

(https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5725/31401484325_be91d1ef43_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PQQPha)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 1 (https://flic.kr/p/PQQPha) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5600/31032593180_0794eceb9f_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9N1)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 2 (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9N1) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5602/31401483995_167bf92865_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PQQPbt)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 3 (https://flic.kr/p/PQQPbt) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5677/31032592580_14c2e01f67_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9BE)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 4 (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9BE) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5632/31401483595_4f24f8a8b7_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PQQP4z)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 5 (https://flic.kr/p/PQQP4z) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5451/31032592080_8194fe4f69_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9t3)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 6 (https://flic.kr/p/Phf9t3) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr


I'll post the color photos as soon as I process the RAW files, hopefully later tonight.
Title: Re: Rocky Mountain National Park
Post by: Sean H on December 04, 2016, 10:11:41 am
Fascinating pictures. IR is revealing so much. Please keep up the great work.
Title: Re: Rocky Mountain National Park
Post by: Colorado_CJ on December 04, 2016, 04:41:20 pm
Fascinating pictures. IR is revealing so much. Please keep up the great work.

Thank you, glad you liked them!
Title: Re: Rocky Mountain National Park
Post by: Colorado_CJ on December 04, 2016, 04:41:51 pm
Well I have the color photos finished. 

Just a few notes on them.  These were taken handheld and rather quickly, they weren't set on a tripod and framed as well as the IR photos.  Also, there will be some differences in the field of view and rendering as I was using different focal lengths with the IR shots and I am stuck with one focal length on this camera 30mm.  Lastly, the internet doesn't display full colors and tonal ranges compared to what you would see in Photoshop for example, so the images look better on my calibrated screen using in Photoshop than they will here on the web.

With that out of the way, here are the photos.  These were taken on a Sigma DM2 Merrill, an APS-C size sensor camera.  The Merrill uses a different type of sensor compared to others, called a Foveon sensor, which is three separate sensors stacked on top of eachother with each sensor responsible for each primary color.  Because of this there is no interpolation like in other cameras and the detail captured is comparable with a high dollar medium format digital camera.  It is one of my favorite cameras.

It is interesting to see the difference between the two types of images.  The IR photos pick up a some different light compared to the color photos, so things like the leaves and grasses "glow" more than in normal light.  I really like color, but there is a place for B&W.  Its hard for me to make a judgment on which I like better.

(https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5567/31385073746_58d30e10fd_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PPoGZ9)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 3 (https://flic.kr/p/PPoGZ9) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5457/30613808883_fa944de298_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/NDeLP6)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 4 (https://flic.kr/p/NDeLP6) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5488/31385073096_755cffcfd8_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PPoGMW)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 5 (https://flic.kr/p/PPoGMW) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5473/31385074616_b6ba0dd326_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/PPoHf9)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 1 (https://flic.kr/p/PPoHf9) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

(https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5515/30613809443_7f084669c1_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/NDeLYK)RMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 2 (https://flic.kr/p/NDeLYK) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Rocky Mountain National Park
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 05, 2016, 04:02:35 am
Good series and exercise. I prefer the first set, especially #3.