Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on December 02, 2016, 01:10:51 am

Title: Citgo
Post by: BobDavid on December 02, 2016, 01:10:51 am
I shot this from the passenger seat when the traffic light was red.
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: marton on December 02, 2016, 01:30:13 am
Worked nicely.

From the passenger seat is also how I shot nearly every photo of a recent trip to Kinshasa.
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: BobDavid on December 02, 2016, 01:33:47 am
The lights take forever to change in Florida. So I put the car in park, moved to the passenger side, and took the shot. I even had enough time to change lenses. I just wanted to prove I could frame up a shot, take it, and be done before the light turned. Gonzo photography is a bit of an adrenaline rush. I don't think this is one of my "A" team photos.

I got my jollies and will not try this stunt again.
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 02, 2016, 08:28:34 am
I think the "Don't Walk" hand adds a lot to the image. It seems a subtle reminder that someone doesn't want you to take this photo.
A subconscious reminder of your recent brushes with the constabulary?
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: BobDavid on December 02, 2016, 08:54:36 am
I think the "Don't Walk" hand adds a lot to the image. It seems a subtle reminder that someone doesn't want you to take this photo.
A subconscious reminder of your recent brushes with the constabulary?

I noticed that too. We're on the same wavelength. Ironically, I was on my way home from a talk given by the ACLU.
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 02, 2016, 11:45:13 am
I noticed that too. We're on the same wavelength. Ironically, I was on my way home from a talk given by the ACLU.
;D
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: Rob C on December 02, 2016, 12:25:46 pm
Come to think of it, maybe using the other side of the door as frame... ?

There goes Saul again!

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: Telecaster on December 02, 2016, 03:20:31 pm
Back around 2000 I used to drive to & from work with a Contax rangefinder in my lap—50mm lens, aperture, focus & shutter speed preset—looking for photo ops. I enjoyed doing it and got some good photos out of it too, but in retrospect it was kinda reckless. I'd likely enjoy doing it again…but as a passenger.  ;)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: chuckn on December 02, 2016, 06:19:55 pm
Nice shot Bob. Every time I've tried to shoot from the drivers seat I either get nothing but the door or I drop my camera.

Chuck
Title: Re: Citgo
Post by: N80 on December 04, 2016, 05:18:28 pm
I like it a lot. The night time photos you have shared here have inspired me to try it myself. That and a camera that is capable of doing it. Thanks for the inspiration.