Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on December 01, 2016, 03:38:15 pm

Title: Rest Stop
Post by: chuckn on December 01, 2016, 03:38:15 pm
This is a series of photos that I did of the rest stop on I80 just outside Wendover, NV. Comments....

Chuck
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Telecaster on December 01, 2016, 03:42:02 pm
What a cool location! Numero Uno does it for me in particular. Spatially it just sits "right."

-Dave-
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: drmike on December 02, 2016, 02:27:12 am
I agree great shots. Number two doesn't reach the same heights as one and three for me. I think it's very interesting to note the small details you leave in, like the street lamp on number 1.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: graeme on December 02, 2016, 05:13:25 am
They're all great. I love the B & W treatment you achieve in your photos.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: drmike on December 02, 2016, 06:26:07 am
Film isn't it?
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Otto Phocus on December 02, 2016, 06:27:42 am
Been many years since I was in Wendover.  Thanks for the photo induced memories.  Do you ever get over to Knolls, UT?
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: graeme on December 02, 2016, 07:39:46 am
Film isn't it?

Yes but that's still one of several processes which results in a b&w image.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Rob C on December 02, 2016, 08:09:52 am
I think the entire set is interesting, and what a non-American would see as part of an Americana whole. From this distance, there just seems to be so much of the near past still hangin' around... catch it while you can.

For years I'd thought of capturing the Mallorcan near-past, but by the time I got seriously back into snapping, most of it had already gone under fresh concrete. Time waits for no man.

Rob
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Bob_B on December 02, 2016, 08:19:03 am
They're all great. I love the B & W treatment you achieve in your photos.
Yes. The first is a beaut, and as graeme said, your processing is sublime. The toning reminds me of kodak medalist paper, which was a favorite of mine back when.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: RSL on December 02, 2016, 08:20:18 am
That's right, Rob, and I thank Heaven that I got to Colorado in the middle sixties, while there still were traces of the American West's adolescence. I was able to photograph a lot of it before it vanished forever. A lot of that stuff is at http://www.russ-lewis.com/photo_gallery/Ruins/index.html, and a bunch of it is used to illustrate http://www.russ-lewis.com/Voices/intro.html. Most situations aren't as transient as the American West was, but you still have to get what you want before it vanishes. As I said at the end of the introduction to "Voices on the Prairie":

". . .enough traces of that first automobile revolution are left to show you something of what it was like if you're willing to leave the superhighway and look. You'd better do it soon though because the buildings and paraphernalia of that time weren't designed to last. They were made by transients for a transient trade, and they're nearly as transient as their proprietors and their customers. Look quickly because in the time it takes to blink your eyes the final remnants of the West's adolescence are going to disappear, forever."

And now they have.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: BobDavid on December 02, 2016, 09:18:16 am
The first and third images are strong. Coming from Nebraska, I've seen a lot of architectural remnants, vestiges, along the old two-lane highways. I think Russ's work from the 1960s and his insights re "transience" are sharp.

I typically don't care about whether an image is digital or analog. But in this case, I think shooting film adds to the poignancy. To this day, my favorite black and white film is Kodak Verichrome Pan. The first roll of film that I purchased with my allowance money was 127 Verichrome Pan. I rediscovered it when I began shooting with a Rolleiflex in the late 1980s.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: chuckn on December 02, 2016, 06:36:57 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Russ is right, these places are vanishing at a rapid rate and we need to take the time to visit them while we still can. NV and UT still have much to offer, if you are willing to leave the main highways.

Chuck 
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: francois on December 05, 2016, 03:56:22 am
I'd just add my vote for #1. The whole set is very nice, really.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 05, 2016, 10:45:11 am
A fine series, Chuck. Especially #1 and #3.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Chris Calohan on December 05, 2016, 10:47:07 am
I think I like #3 as much as #1...and #2 is pretty okay, too. I've stopped there many a time on the way to the salt flats and never once gave thought to shooting it...shame on me.
Title: Re: Rest Stop
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 05, 2016, 06:22:27 pm
Lovely series.