Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on November 30, 2016, 09:32:29 am
-
A frequent visitor on my river.
-
Whose touring whom? ---that's a good one, Russ.
-
Do you often invite him in for some tea and small children?
-
Do you often invite him in for some tea and small children?
Eric, I think he lacks manners and drops in unexpectedly.
-
So far nobody's fed him, so he thinks people are predators. Once somebody feeds him he'll think people are prey. At that time, the fed gator will have to become a dead gator. Some sorry idiot almost surely will feed him sooner or later.
-
So far nobody's fed him, so he thinks people are predators. Once somebody feeds him he'll think people are prey. At that time, the fed gator will have to become a dead gator. Some sorry idiot almost surely will feed him sooner or later.
It's a shame the interval between his concepts of people isn't short, isn't it?
Jeremy
-
So far nobody's fed him, so he thinks people are predators. Once somebody feeds him he'll think people are prey. At that time, the fed gator will have to become a dead gator. Some sorry idiot almost surely will feed him sooner or later.
Like the tourists in Yellowstone and Yosemite that like to take pictures of their kids feeding bears.
-
Is the gator nearly five feet long, possibly a tad over? It's nice to see it enjoy the sunshine.
-
He's an 8-10 footer. Up in the panhandle of Florida, we cal them Tourons - Moron Tourists. We had one touron recently that got bit by a raccoon and had to undergo the full rabies treatment. Dumb sh*t got exactly what he deserved.
-
Right on, Chris.
-
About ten years ago I was at the Everglades National Park taking a few shots of a Blue Heron on the other side of the lake near to the cafe, but I wasn't close enough so decided to follow a track around the right hand side of the lake, only to find myself on the opposite bank and about 30 feet away from a really big alligator that was about three times bigger than me. So what did I do, run away screaming? No of course not, I put the camera up to me eye and started shooting it of course and carried on shooting it as I watched it open its eyes and start to turn its big gnarly head towards me. A voice then whispered in my ear from a friendly park ranger with really long hair, you do realise he can run a whole lot faster than you don't you and he can kill you with just one bite?
Big scary animals don't look anything like as fearsome when you are looking at them through a viewfinder, was the big lesson I learned that day.
I also learned a second lesson some years later when shooting a scene in Canada and a black bear and her cubs started coming towards me, that when you live in a country such as the UK like I do, where the most fearsome thing you will probably encounter in the wild is a nettle bush, that without realising it you get used to that lack of risk mindset and yet again without realising it, you take that exact same mind set on holiday with you. So yes I agree tourists often appear to do things that are totally stupid to a knowledgeable local, but for them and for me that day in the everglades, because we never encounter danger like this at home, we don't have the same automatic alarm bells ringing based on experience that you guys have - although I certainly do now and it sends a shudder down my spine everytime I think about just how close I had got to a really, really big alligator ;D
Dave
-
This is what a 12 footer looks like...I never get close unless I am in a boat longer than they are with a motor. :-)
-
A few years ago I saw one in Lake Harris, Chris, that was about the size of the Queen Mary. It really was at least as long as most pontoon boats. You'd have needed a pretty big boat for that one.
-
There is a 16 footer at Payne's Prairie in Gainesville. He's a monster but fortunately stays mostly on the other side of the waterway.