Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on November 28, 2016, 06:13:27 am

Title: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: KMRennie on November 28, 2016, 06:13:27 am
I am a little bothered about the bright patches on the bottom right. Should I remove them?
Ken
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: Otto Phocus on November 28, 2016, 06:17:36 am
I think it looks good the way it is.  Do you think that cropping an equal amount from the top and bottom might work?
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 28, 2016, 08:00:35 am
I wouldn't crop anything. The clouds and those patches seem to gently echo the flight of the ducks.
Beautiful shot.
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: RSL on November 28, 2016, 08:46:02 am
Oh, come on Eric. You know as well as I do that nothing is really finished unless it's been cropped. Nobody is capable of framing a picture the way he wants it to be framed. You just bang away and decide later how to crop it. No?  :-\
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: graeme on November 28, 2016, 10:22:16 am
Seems perfect as it is.
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: Arlen on November 28, 2016, 11:22:22 am
I think it's very good the way that it is, but I would try toning down just the one bright streak that runs off the bottom right side, and see if that looks better.

Note that toning down is way less sinful that cropping.  :)
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 28, 2016, 02:06:53 pm
Oh, come on Eric. You know as well as I do that nothing is really finished unless it's been cropped. Nobody is capable of framing a picture the way he wants it to be framed. You just bang away and decide later how to crop it. No?  :-\

From the aspect ratio, it seems to me that it's been cropped a bit already. I wouldn't do it any more, though.

As for toning down the bright areas, yes, give it a go, but I'd use a very gentle touch.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Ducks on the Solway Firth
Post by: KMRennie on November 28, 2016, 02:55:56 pm
Of course it is cropped. I seem to like landscape shots that are a bit wider than 3:2 and portrait that are squatter than 2:3. It is not just laziness with a 36MB Nikon so I can crop and still have a large file I used to spend a lot of time stitching panos and that used to cause problems with moving water. A mono shot from the Solway. The forecast for tomorrow morning is clear and cold so I will return here before dawn and see what happens. This is an area with large numbers of over wintering waders so I may get a large number of geese, ducks and swans in shot.
Ken