Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on November 26, 2016, 01:04:23 pm

Title: walls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 26, 2016, 01:04:23 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: walls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 26, 2016, 01:20:25 pm
My first thought is to inquire just where along the U.S.-Mexico border are these walls?   ;)

It's an intriguing image.
Perhaps it could stand a bit more contrast.

Title: Re: walls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 26, 2016, 02:22:48 pm
My first thought is to inquire just where along the U.S.-Mexico border are these walls?   ;)

It's an intriguing image.
Perhaps it could stand a bit more contrast.

I doubt they'd stop anyone determined to cross them.

On reflection, I think you're right: it could do without the toning, too, which seems to have a softening effect. How about this?

Jeremy

PS: I do like your book.
Title: Re: walls
Post by: marton on November 26, 2016, 05:20:12 pm
Obviously just my opinion, feel free to ignore it - but judging by the look of it, you've hit the clarity slider too hard.
Title: Re: walls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 26, 2016, 07:01:57 pm
I doubt they'd stop anyone determined to cross them.

On reflection, I think you're right: it could do without the toning, too, which seems to have a softening effect. How about this?

Jeremy

PS: I do like your book.
I like this version.
And I'm glad you like the book.

Eric
Title: Re: walls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 27, 2016, 04:50:31 am
Obviously just my opinion, feel free to ignore it - but judging by the look of it, you've hit the clarity slider too hard.

I seldom ignore opinions: they're the reason I post my photos here. However, explanations are always good: what leads you to that conclusion?

Jeremy
Title: Re: walls
Post by: marton on November 28, 2016, 12:02:05 am
I seldom ignore opinions: they're the reason I post my photos here. However, explanations are always good: what leads you to that conclusion?

Jeremy

It has a harshness to it. Similar harshness that results from the clarity slider being used more than it should be and micro-contrast is heightened unnaturally.
Title: Re: walls
Post by: N80 on December 01, 2016, 02:43:44 pm
Agreed. It looks like a generally 'soft' subject that has been oversharpened. However, I am sensitive to oversharpening and never did get caught up in the current fad of over sharpening. Having said that, I only get a hint of it in this image.
Title: Re: walls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 02, 2016, 03:25:28 am
It has a harshness to it. Similar harshness that results from the clarity slider being used more than it should be and micro-contrast is heightened unnaturally.

Fair enough. There is some added clarity: but harshness was my aim. It's not a "friendly" landscape.

Jeremy
Title: Re: walls
Post by: N80 on December 02, 2016, 09:05:04 am
Again, for me the sharpening was a minor issue.

When I take time to look at this image I really like it. There is a lot to see and my eye wanders, as it should in this type of scene; its what you would want to do if you were there. My problem with this image, which is also a minor issue, is one I struggle with in a lot of my own images in that across the whole image the tonal range seems a bit flat. I think a lighter or darker sky might have helped. The reason I don't see it as a major problem in this image is that your first impression is that it is a little flat and as a whole it looks a little abstract but then as you look at it the details emerge and your eyes follow the walls and lines in the landscape and it draws you in.