Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on November 23, 2016, 10:00:07 pm
-
Abandoned drive-in, Yerrington, NV. Taken with my Minolta xe-7, 50mm lens, Delta 100 film, yellow #8 filter. Comments....
Chuck
-
Good catch, Chuck.
The tire tracks add to the nostalgia.
-
Good catch, Chuck.
The tire tracks add to the nostalgia.
Thanks Eric. Happy Thanksgiving
Chuck
-
Good catch, Chuck.
The tire tracks add to the nostalgia.
+1
And +10 for the film work, which also adds to the nostalgia!
There's been a lot of debate about the real or perceived look of film. This, for some reason, looks more like film than other photographs shot with film. Maybe it's the character of the grain in the sky or the excellent local contrast...?
-
Not many of these babies left nowadays. Good catch, Chuck. But who cares what you shot it with? That kind of crap is for outfits like Nikonians and Pop Photography.
-
Abandoned drive-in, Yerrington, NV. Taken with my Minolta xe-7, 50mm lens, Delta 100 film, yellow #8 filter. Comments....
Chuck
As you've shown a few times already, you have a good eye.
It's nice to see pictures that depend more on the mind than on pyrotechnics; film or not film? Well, as Russ said, it isn't the point, but it is definitely good to see people still use it. If anything, its continued use might be able to guarantee its survival as a viable product for a while yet.
I'd like to be in a position to use it too, but I'd want to do so on 6x6, with people. I think its intrinsic value is revealed better with human subjects, if only because of the way it renders skin. I have never had as nice a 'digital capture' of skin tone as I have had even from scanning Kodachrome 64; so there you are: one guy's experience.
I won't even mention the way film handles shots into the sunlight...
Nice work - keep it up!
Rob
-
"The Last Picture Show" is one of my favorite films. The film is beautifully photographed in black and white. Robert L. Surtees was a fine cinematographer.
-
Another nice one Chuck. I'm really enjoying the work you've been posting recently.
-
Not many of these babies left nowadays. Good catch, Chuck. But who cares what you shot it with? That kind of crap is for outfits like Nikonians and Pop Photography.
Russ, Lakeland, Florida has a beautiful authentic drive-in movie theater that's been around since the late 40s. It shows first-run movies. The drive-in is a treasure, and if you happen to find yourself in the Lakeland area, check it out. http://www.silvermoondrivein.com/about-us/
-
Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Not many of these babies left nowadays. Good catch, Chuck. But who cares what you shot it with? That kind of crap is for outfits like Nikonians and Pop Photography.
Russ, the only reason I mentioned the medium used is I think film should be given credit when credit is due :)
Chuck
-
Film's got nothing to do with it. Here's a New Mexico blacksmith's shop from the late sixties that sort of echoes your drivein. Don't even remember what I shot it with. Probably one of my Leicas, but who cares? The picture is what matters; not the equipment -- unless you're on something like Nikonians and telling other equipment bugs about all the crap you do with your Nikon (which you could do equally well with your Canon or Olympus or. . . as long as you can visualize a picture.). By the way, I never shot a drivein theater back in the days when they were all over the place. I've always regretted it. I always think of O. Winston Link's "Hotshot Eastbound, Jaeger, West Virginia." http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x6IBGDsi8Xo/Tr3hRkHvh1I/AAAAAAAARFM/-t_BVnECIek/s1600/+O.+Winston+Link%252C+schnellgueterzughigh.jpeg. A great shot.
-
That is a fine one, Russ.
The copyright date leads me to suspect that it was not digital. ;D