Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Brookie on November 23, 2016, 04:23:32 pm

Title: My first pano - and a question
Post by: Brookie on November 23, 2016, 04:23:32 pm
Here is my first attempt at a pano with new RRS gear, taken near Crested Butte, CO in late September.  I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't done anything yet to try to even out the tone of the sky in post - the variance you see is all natural polarization (I.e., no filter was used). All comments and critique are welcomed.

I used a Nikon 105 micro for this shoot of 6 vertical frames.

My question is - what focal length lens do you use most often in making your panos?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: kers on November 23, 2016, 04:37:54 pm
Looks good to me- only the sky in the middle is darker than on the sides..

I use 85mm, 50mm, 24mm and 14mm- sometimes fisheye

fixed focals except for the 14 but that is the end of my 14-24mm.

This particular pano is not very sensitive to wrongdoing... more sensitive is 3d panorama's at short distance..
So i suspect you will have not much problems - try to use vignetting lens correction... maybe that is your sky problem
good luck!
Pieter

Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: luxborealis on November 23, 2016, 11:38:31 pm
A gorgeous first pano!
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 24, 2016, 03:11:31 am
A gorgeous first pano!

It certainly is
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 24, 2016, 04:10:40 am
Nice. These days I mostly use the Sony 55 f1.8 lens.
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: francois on November 24, 2016, 05:53:11 am
Generally, I'm using something around 100mm…
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: Brookie on November 27, 2016, 11:29:11 pm
Thank you all for the replies and comments.

Pieter, I redeveloped the pano after first correcting each individual frame for vignetting. The result is still the same. I think the change in the sky is just "natural polarization" because the center of the image is basically looking south and the far right and far left are approaching east and west respectively. That different angle to the sun is what I believe is causing the sky to be darker in the middle (south) and lighter on each end. Good exercise though!  Thanks for the suggestion.
Title: Re: My first pano - and a question
Post by: kers on November 30, 2016, 08:40:38 pm
Thank you all for the replies and comments.

Pieter, I redeveloped the pano after first correcting each individual frame for vignetting. The result is still the same. I think the change in the sky is just "natural polarization" because the center of the image is basically looking south and the far right and far left are approaching east and west respectively. That different angle to the sun is what I believe is causing the sky to be darker in the middle (south) and lighter on each end. Good exercise though!  Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, anyway the vignetting correction is just a basic to apply.
Sometimes natural looks unnatural :)
I would suggest to you if you are really into panorama's to try ptGUI - it is my favorite program.