Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on November 21, 2016, 09:04:02 am

Title: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: KMRennie on November 21, 2016, 09:04:02 am
Taken at a recent RPS landscape day. The weather was awful: rain, sleet and hail flying in on a SW gale. I was lucky enough to catch this when the merest hint of sun lit the little copse of birch trees.
All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: Sean H on November 21, 2016, 09:06:34 am
Ken, you are one of the few people who can reveal the beauty in bad weather to the rest of us. A wonderful image.

Sean
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 21, 2016, 09:11:46 am
Apocalyptic! Well done.

Though it is not in the Critique section, I'll go with your "all comments welcome" invite: I would tone down a bit contrast and brightness of the foreground, so that the eye is led easier into exploring the full depth of the image. Just a thought. Also, I am seeing it on an office monitor, not exactly well color and brightness managed, so maybe I am off in my judgment too.
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: francois on November 21, 2016, 09:24:27 am
What a weather, perfect for photography. I just go some illumination from the sun and it brings up salutation. The sky is almost perfectly monochrome, did you use a ND filter?

For me, it's a beauty.
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: KMRennie on November 21, 2016, 10:21:14 am
Slobodan thanks for the advice about the foreground I will look at it. No real filters Francois( A photoshop one applied), the rain had soaked my grads and it was almost impossible to keep them dry. I could keep the front element drier with a lens hood but I did have to clone out a few spots from raindrops. The image shows 2 hailstorms on the far left and the right hand third.
Ken
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 21, 2016, 11:20:13 am
What a weather, perfect for photography.
:)

Very nice. The distant fields look a little blue to me.
Title: Re: Derwentwater from Grange Crags
Post by: sarrasani on November 21, 2016, 01:14:15 pm
wonderful scenario and excellent composition.
Only, for my tastes, the contrasts coloured/monochrome  and enlighted/dark are a bit exaggerated, generating some artifacts.
All the best,
sandro