Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 18, 2016, 04:58:39 pm

Title: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 18, 2016, 04:58:39 pm
My 3880 gets all the love lately.  I have another printer (2200) that I want to find a new home for. (assuming anyone still has interest in those...)  Aside from needing new ink and such, what should I be aware of in trying to relocate this printer?  Is shipping it even an option or do I need to go local?  Thanks! 
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 18, 2016, 06:00:14 pm
I suspect the cost of shipping a 2200 would exceed the current value of the printer.
When I retired my 2200 a bit over 7 years ago, I advertised it locally on Craig's list and a couple of other places. The only taker I got was a fellow who wanted it for parts, since he had another working 2200 and wasn't afraid to tinker.

Now I'm trying to find a home for my 7-year-old 3800 and I haven't found any takers yet.
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 18, 2016, 10:54:23 pm
Yeah...I considered turning it into a bw only panoramic with the roll feed...but the latest prints are so much more efficient with ink.  I will see about local.  I don't have the heart to just recycle it yet.
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: rdonson on November 19, 2016, 11:25:01 am
Have you checked local schools with art or photography classes???
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: disneytoy on November 20, 2016, 02:45:00 pm
I have a 2400 that still prints perfectly. In our throw away society I think it would be nice if you have it to a school, but only if you are sure they can afford the paper and ink. I had about a $1000 worth of very expired ink. Every cartridge worked great. I'm down to 1-2 sets.

Find a school
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on November 20, 2016, 03:07:02 pm
 Great idea Ron! I was banging my head against the wall try ing to find a home for my very lightly used IPF 6300 and the local High School was where it wound up. they were extremely happy for it as well.

 Kevin in CT
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on November 20, 2016, 10:54:24 pm
That's a great idea.  The HS I went is where I first picked up an SLR.  They are also now a client of mine years later.  I will talk to them and see if they still have a photography program in their arts. 
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: Peter Mellis on November 21, 2016, 02:33:31 pm
I have a 2200 that I use for printing on media like water color paper (not coated) that I don't want to run through my primary printer.
Title: Re: Best way to sell or give away a printer?
Post by: RPark on November 21, 2016, 02:40:07 pm
I've been asking myself the same question. I have a 2200 that still works fine (the last time I tried it, a few months ago). Great thing is it cleans itself easily, with a couple of cycles, even after letting it stand for extended periods -- unlike the 4900. I'd still use it for cards, if using it with the iMac wasn't such a hassle when changing inks -- which causes all kinds of mismatch issues.