Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: mseawell on November 17, 2016, 04:47:37 pm
-
We will be visiting our son in college the last weekend of February and I would like to take advantage and drive to Yosemite for our first visit. I'm looking for a good hotel not too far from the park and was wondering if anyone had recommendations, nothing that will break the bank but not a dump either!
Cheers
Mark
-
Welcome from El Portal. I would try and stay at the Yosemite View Lodge located along the Merced River in El Portal. You are right at the park boundary and Yosemite Valley is only about 10 miles away. Keep in mind if you are coming to see Horsetail Falls off of El Capitan there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley. Still winter light in Yosemite is the best!
Riverman = Hugh Sakols
-
Thanking you Riverman! The Horsestail Falls are not a priority on this trip. I Just want to see Yosemite!
Mark
-
Welcome from El Portal. I would try and stay at the Yosemite View Lodge located along the Merced River in El Portal. You are right at the park boundary and Yosemite Valley is only about 10 miles away. Keep in mind if you are coming to see Horsetail Falls off of El Capitan there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley. Still winter light in Yosemite is the best!
Riverman = Hugh Sakols
Riverman? Merced River(man)?
-
For some reason I also have a riverman user name. Sometimes when I post from my work computer, I'm signed in as reverman instead of hsakols.
-
...there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley...
In February!?
-
My wife and I have gone to Yosemite Valley nearly every winter in late January/February since 1983, staying at Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village. If you go on weekdays, the rates are more reasonable. There are far, far fewer people in the winter. Hiking around the Valley, we often find ourselves in solitude since many visitors spend the day at Badger Pass skiing. Even in late February, I expect you'll find no crowds except possibly on the weekend.
One bit of advice is don't count on the food available unless you have a lot of time and money. The food court at the Lodge is barely edible and the Mountain Room and Awahnee expensive. We always bring a cooler and our own food.
Have a great time.
-
In February!?
Yep. February is when, if the conditions are right, Horsetail Falls turns into the "Fire Fall" of light. This past February was crazy crowded because the conditions were perfect. They had to close one side of the road just so people could park their cars on it. Just Google the event to see the crazy amount of people that were photographing it. :)
-
During the late winter the sun is at the perfect angle to backlight horsetail falls. It became popularized after Galen Rowell photographed in back in the 70's. http://www.mountainlight.com/gallery.classics/images.html Later in March the sun will start hitting Bridalveil Falls and Cathedral Rocks. This weekend it snowed down to 2000ft. Yosemite Valley is at 4000ft.