Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: drmike on November 16, 2016, 08:09:15 am

Title: Tables
Post by: drmike on November 16, 2016, 08:09:15 am
Old tables in a launderette.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5483/30927589176_bd21844573_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/P7XYL9)

and

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5762/22784655288_6779f72e6f_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/AHpjdh)

Mike
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 16, 2016, 08:55:04 am
Nice, playful compositions.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: N80 on November 17, 2016, 10:29:02 am
I get a Rothko vibe with these. Maybe a hint of Eggleston. Well done. Wish I had the eye for this sort of shot.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: drmike on November 17, 2016, 10:29:51 am
Thank you both :)
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: John R on November 17, 2016, 11:17:27 am
I think Eric hit nail on head, "Nice, playful compositions." But also very abstract.

JR
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: Otto Phocus on November 18, 2016, 06:37:15 am
Composition question:

Would this work if the base of the leg were placed in the center of the image and the coloured portion centered vertically on the right edge?

The negative space on the left does not seem to add much, in my opinion.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: drmike on November 18, 2016, 06:53:41 am
Sort of twist it round a bit so as you say the leg is in the centre and the table top is emerging from the right edge? I tried that when shooting and it doesn't look so good in my opinion. I like all that dead space, for me it sort of says hey look there's almost nothing in this image apart from a couple of colours and some geometry. Less dead space which I agree is hardly an active component would be less assertive in the way it abuses the space available within the frame.

Perhaps I am guilty of throwing down a pointless challenge?
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: graeme on November 18, 2016, 08:18:50 am
I think Eric hit nail on head, "Nice, playful compositions." But also very abstract.

JR

+1
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: Otto Phocus on November 18, 2016, 09:12:37 am
I tried that when shooting and it doesn't look so good in my opinion.

That's pretty much what is important.   ;D  It is a nice set of photographs.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 18, 2016, 09:48:52 am
Sort of twist it round a bit so as you say the leg is in the centre and the table top is emerging from the right edge? I tried that when shooting and it doesn't look so good in my opinion. I like all that dead space, for me it sort of says hey look there's almost nothing in this image apart from a couple of colours and some geometry. Less dead space which I agree is hardly an active component would be less assertive in the way it abuses the space available within the frame.
I completely agree with you about keeping the "dead space." It is essential to the mood, IMHO.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: francois on November 18, 2016, 11:47:35 am
Nice, very graphic with strong colors. Well seen!
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: drmike on November 18, 2016, 11:56:12 am
You guys have cheered me up no end. I have felt very frustrated by not seeing shots for the past 4 months but you have reassured me that not all hope is lost.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: N80 on November 21, 2016, 09:55:36 am
Dry spells suck.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: drmike on November 21, 2016, 10:04:01 am
They really do but you have to work through them and also take the long view that although it's a PITA it doesn't really matter like family and friends do.
Title: Re: Tables
Post by: N80 on November 21, 2016, 10:58:18 am
True. And I find sites like this one helps as well. I don't think I have taken many photos of which I am artistically proud that were not inspired, in some way, by the work of others. Maybe that's just the limits of my ability but I suspect it is true for many.