Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: drmike on November 12, 2016, 02:52:07 am
-
Surely life can't be that bad?
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5350/25294388699_5bbb0a85ff_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/ExbmvZ)
And that smile which was unexpected
(https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5477/30582321910_e7f67a7a24_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/NAsoQf)
But neither are earth shattering shots sadly.
-
Maybe not earth shattering but I like the first one very much. A good evocation of the mood on those ferries… not bad but boring.
-
Well seen and worth posting. Each conveys the mood of a moment.
-
I think both have/had potential. One of the big issues is there is so much unneeded "context" that it obscures what is really essential and great. The first has some real potential for many reasons and this is the better of the two. The geometries of form of the woman on right and others on her row and the the man in yellow is really good (and arms near windows in back). The colors too are fantastic though the exposure is so dark it cancels that out - if you use ACR or LR - hit "auto" correct in Develop and then you see how powerful and important the colors really are. I think cropping in from the left so the frame starts just before the knee of man in yellow brings focus to the composition. In the second I probably would have tried to get some more space above the woman's head. The glare is a bit of a problem as well. Cropping in from right 2/5ths so you end up with an approx. 4x5 image also brings focus to the smiling woman's movement and geometry juxtaposed with the static quality of the woman on the left of frame. I'll send so examples p.m. /B
-
Thanks Brandt, your comments are really appreciated and give food for thought and a reason to revisit these shots. The one on the ferry I can reprocess from scratch and see where I go. The smiling lady is I fear is what it is at high ISO and crappy lighting. My crop I can see wouldn't be everyone's choice.
any thank
Mike