Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: minicoop1985 on November 09, 2016, 02:56:09 pm

Title: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 09, 2016, 02:56:09 pm
How weather resistant is the H3D 39? I noticed it has a fan and vents on it.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: Joe Towner on November 09, 2016, 03:07:38 pm
It's not at all - the seals are "better" with each newer H body, but really, that's more to cut down on dust compared to anything wet.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: BobShaw on November 09, 2016, 03:52:42 pm
That's what you use the Canon for.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 09, 2016, 04:34:46 pm
True... I just had some thoughts about using it in light snow like I did with my Leaf Aptus (got off two shots before the battery quit). If it's that fragile, I won't push it.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: Joe Towner on November 09, 2016, 06:52:45 pm
I've taken my H4D snowboarding (bluebird day) but shooting with a microfiber cloth over the top, or one of the disposable bags to cover the thing also works.

It's one thing the strong points for the 645D & Z, when paired with a AW lens.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 09, 2016, 07:45:09 pm
Oooh, I hadn't thought of that.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: BobShaw on November 09, 2016, 08:43:56 pm
I think any camera should have a Rainsleeve or umbrella or something over it if it's raining. I certainly use one on my Canon but I have been caught out without drama. Obviously being a modular camera, (and that is one of the main benefits over the Pentax as you can use the back separately), there are more joints.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: eronald on November 10, 2016, 07:22:03 am
I think any camera should have a Rainsleeve or umbrella or something over it if it's raining. I certainly use one on my Canon but I have been caught out without drama. Obviously being a modular camera, (and that is one of the main benefits over the Pentax as you can use the back separately), there are more joints.

Leica's S series is properly weathersealed, I believe.

Edmund
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 10, 2016, 07:23:31 am
Now here comes my next question. How well do the Hasselblad's rechargeable batteries hold up in, say, 40 degree (F) weather?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: torger on November 10, 2016, 07:56:40 am
I use a H4D-50, digital back only on my Linhof Techno in outdoor conditions. Obviously the camera is less robust than say a Canon 1D, but you don't need to worry about some occasional water drops or some light snow. I've shot in -30C (-22F) without issues, the LCD gets slow etc, just on all electronics, but it works.

If it starts to rain for real, I protect it with my umbrella, or stop shooting.

I don't know much about the batteries as when I use the back I use an external battery. But there is no reason to believe that there would be issues at 40F, which is above freezing. The camera is made in Sweden and tested in Swedish conditions, so it's fine for cold weather.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 10, 2016, 09:21:40 am
Excellent points. I was asking because my old Leaf Aptus would take about 2 exposures in 40 degree weather, then call it quits. With a fully charged battery. A brand new one at that, too.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: JeffS on November 10, 2016, 10:17:24 am
The Hasselblad X1D (with native lenses) is said to be weather resistant.  Kevin will be taking one to Antarctica, so we'll see what that means in practical terms.

The Leica S and SL systems are extremely robust in this regard (as definitions of 'weather resistance' or 'weather sealed' can vary greatly).

Jeff
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: Joe Towner on November 10, 2016, 10:57:46 am
Battery life will depend on the batteries used - it'll be more than 2 shots for sure.  I was over 150 shots with a 2900ma battery but it was a bluebird day, so while it's 20 deg F outside, the battery got a little warm in the sun.  Being able to quickly pull the battery and stick it in my pocket helped.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: NickT on November 10, 2016, 02:16:26 pm
If it's really cold I know some people use chemical hand warmers to keep batteries going.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 11, 2016, 07:16:23 am
Sounds like I'll be fine then battery wise. I have the 2900 mah battery. In fact, strangely enough, it's an H6 battery with no H on it. So someone spent all that money on a brand new battery just to turn around and sell the camera to KEH.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: Joe Towner on November 23, 2016, 11:18:13 am
The Kata / Manfrotto E-702 rain cover is amazing - took the 100c with the 35-90 out last night in the pouring rain (Seattle...) and while shooting thru the clear plastic on the back sucked, the gear stayed dry.  Old article on NickT's blog chats about it more, worked like a champ!
Title: Re: Hasselblad H3D weather resistance...?
Post by: minicoop1985 on November 23, 2016, 04:07:43 pm
I had it out in light drizzle and kept the port covered (not blocked, but covered) with my hand at all times. It survived just fine.