Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Jglaser757 on November 08, 2016, 09:10:00 am

Title: Antelope Canyon
Post by: Jglaser757 on November 08, 2016, 09:10:00 am
Going to Antelope Canyon next week. Arriving on 16th, planned on Upper Canyon tour. Next two days are scheduled for lower canyon tours. But, I have a few questions.

Does it matter which tour company I use? I ask that because the tour times for one company are rather early for Upper. Although other companies have a later tour.

IF you had to choose which canyon? upper or lower?

I plan on doing a couple of other canyons. Not sure which one but I though of either Secret, Canyon X, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jon
Title: Re: Antelope Canyon
Post by: Camboman on November 08, 2016, 02:44:58 pm
Although both are crowded, lower is a bit less so, so that would be my choice. But be prepared for a very touristy experience.

I've been there a few years ago where the "guide" simply pointed to the spot where you enter the slot. The more recent tours, the guide hikes with you to the lower part of the canyon where you descend a ladder into the slot, then walk back up canyon. 
Title: Re: Antelope Canyon
Post by: Dladymon on November 08, 2016, 09:54:56 pm
Just returned from Page today.  Did both Upper (does not allow backpacks) and Lower (allows backpacks). The guide said that both companies at Lower are part of the same extended family.  We did Dixie's at Lower and it went well.  Our guide was Tyler.  Very pleasant.  A bit crowded at first but settled down about midway through the the tour.  Upper seems to have only one company once you get on site though I did see a couple of unmarked tour trucks come into the area from somewhere else.  There are other slot canyons in the area - Owl and Rattlesnake - that you might want to check out.  We did the regular 90 minute tours but, if I went back again, I might put up with people jockeying in front of me and do the longer photographer's tour so I can take a tripod.