Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on November 07, 2016, 07:39:26 pm
-
Did Kapture ever produce a adapter plate for their sliding backs that accommodates the additional 3 pins in the IQ3 backs?
I am thinking about getting a new back, but my sliding back's plate's recess is only large enough for the original amount of pins.
-
Didn't see any replies to this, but am curious. My IQ3 100 attaches to the same Arca Swiss plate as did my IQ180 and the IQ3 80 I used for about 6 months. Whatever changed with the pins (didn't realize there was a change) didn't seem to affect it.
It is a little finicky in attaching, I'll have to look at it closer to see what you are referring to and if that's the cause of this.
-
There is a small recess on the plate where the pins would be on the digital back. The recess on mine is only wide enough for the original amount of pins. So I have to assume if you mounted an IQ3 back, those three extra pins would come in contact with the metal on the plate. Now I am sure the pins are on springs and push back into the back, but still, it could not be good for the back.
-
I too use an old adapter with the smaller slot (Alpa in my case). The pins indeed push in on springs, two on each side don't fit into the smaller slot. I keep mine mounted to the adapter all the time (~6 months so far). I have not seen any problems and the pins move in and out as normal. So far anyway. Rented an XF a month ago with no issues.
My dealer indicated it would not matter, although I don't know if that is an official Phase One position.
Dave
-
Arca did make a new mounting plate for the extra power pins. I believe Cambo did also.
As noted, 2 extra pins will depress onto the older plates, however not sure what the long term effect will/would be.
Can't speck to K group, but they might very well be able to modify their older plates, I know that some of the Arca old style plates were modified.
Paul C
-
Ditto with Alpa and Cambo plates. If you are worried about the pins being pushed in and compressing the springs and don't want to pay $'00's for new plates there's always the dremel fall back. It's just a slot for the pins with no functional requirements.
-
Also note that on an XF all the pins get pushed in almost completely when the back is mounted.
Dave
-
That is good to know. I thought that there could be a short that happens since the current from the pins would be all going to the sliding back.
-
It does make you wonder since there is the power sharing feature, how that works through the pins.
But one would think Phase planned for the probability that someone would mount the back to a conductive adapter.
Dave