Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on November 06, 2016, 05:48:40 pm

Title: Autumnal orchids
Post by: Bob_B on November 06, 2016, 05:48:40 pm
One of the most satisfying aspects of growing orchids is having plants in bloom when all the native varieties have withered and gone to seed. Here are two varieties that are currently blooming at my house. The first one is a species, Miltonia clowesii that I acquired only recently. It surprised me with four small blossoms (the flower is ca. 2 cm wide) a few weeks ago. The second orchid is a hybrid, Lc. Rosette Warland x C. chocolate drop (aka chocolate drop). I picked this one up in the discount bin at a Lowe's hardware store several years ago. Since then, it has grown surprisingly well and blooms each November on cue. This year it produced 15 flowers each of which is 6-7 cm wide and vivid reddish-purple in color. Chocolate drop's flowers last only a week or two, and so you have to enjoy them while they last.

I hope you enjoy these photos. Please feel free to comment, and thank you for viewing.

Cheers,

     Bob
Title: Re: Autumnal orchids
Post by: Sean H on November 06, 2016, 06:08:13 pm
Gorgeous colours Bob. I can almost feel the texture of some of the petals.
Title: Re: Autumnal orchids
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 06, 2016, 06:17:30 pm
Lovely!
Title: Re: Autumnal orchids
Post by: Bob_B on November 07, 2016, 07:40:31 am
Thank you Sean and Eric.