Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: jazzy on November 04, 2016, 10:34:21 am
-
I used to have the Tamrac Evolution 8 for carrying MF gear for a short hike or city walkabout. It can be worn as a sling bag or a backpack and the best feature is very quick access to the camera from both sides. I lost it in a trip and now looking for a replacement. Tamrac no long makes them anymore and I'm looking for something similar: backpack with quick access, but maybe with little better material and build quality. The F-stops are excellent for long hike/carrying a lot of gear, I love my Tilopa, however I don't find them suitable for short hike or city walk, and no quick access.
Any recommendation?
-
I have 3 different Tamrac packs I use, but for backpack style I never get into using them. I like the messenger style bags as it gives me instant access without setting it down.
I have a LowePro large backpack to throw things in for a shoot setup on location, but I will never buy another without wheels. Rolling backpack is the only way i would get one.
Even on hikes I use a messenger and sling it back. Vanguard Velocity 38 is darn good one. I have the original from years back, and the only thing that came off of it is the clasp cover which makes no difference.
But I never understood how a backpack works for street, or on the go type of shooting. Maybe long hikes that have a end point to stop set things down and shoot...but I dont do those without a bunch of in between shoots.
I think CaseLogic, who surprisingly is making some interesting packs, has a "backpack" with top access to camera. That, if bigger, might be worth a look.
I have about 15 to 20 different camera bags/packs, and I still go for the large messenger Vanguard OR the rolling Tamrac CyberPro Express....
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/321683-REG/Tamrac_526301_5263_CyberPro_Express_Briefcase.html
The Tamrac 5797 maybe a good backpack...
http://cheesycam.com/best-dslr-video-hybrid-backpack-roller-bag/
-
I totally understand your concerns but please have a look at the Tamrac Evolution, thats why I meant "quick-access" backpack. To me personally they are even quicker to operate than a messenger. You don't have to take them off, just sling them around and open the side to access the camera.
Messenger bag is great for smaller gears, but for MF gear my shoulders can not handle it. For any hiking involved some climbing, they are very awkward to carry. I love my Billingham but they just don't work for me.
-
Which MF gear are you carrying? I picked up a ThinkTank Sling-o-matic off ebay because I loved using the one my local shop has for their 645z kit. It's one of the few bags you can fully shot from without putting it down.
-
Yeah, I guess the mf model matters, and totally understand now your usage. Yeah, messenger style is not good for that.
That Evo bag looks good as you can go from sling to dual shoulder support. SlingOmatic looked good at first, but seeing the Evo8 and that support belts gets the vote for any climbing etc. But I like the open access of the SlingO
Sorry have not used either to give you any first hand feedback.
Also look at ApeCase, they make some good stuff.
-
So it depends on your medium format kit...but this might work.
ThinkTank Trifecta 10
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/trifecta-series/products/trifecta-10-dslr-backpack (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/trifecta-series/products/trifecta-10-dslr-backpack)
Also, the F-Stop Gear Kenti would potentially have worked.
http://fstopgear.com/news/2014-06/quick-access-kenti-backpack (http://fstopgear.com/news/2014-06/quick-access-kenti-backpack)
Only problem is the Kenti is now discontinued...but you may be able to find one online some where. I would check out the think tank bag. Often their specs are a little forgiving.
-
What about the Think Tank Streetwalker?
I know one person who uses it for Hasselblad and two lenses:
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker
-
I have just read about the new Peak Design Everyday backpack.
https://www.peakdesign.com/product/bags/everyday-backpack
Seems quite impressive with a nice design, just not sure if its tough enough for medium format.