Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mousecop on November 02, 2016, 08:49:34 pm

Title: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: Mousecop on November 02, 2016, 08:49:34 pm
A few pics from wandering around the Sierras last week. Not too remote, so I suspect some folks will recognize some of the scenery.



Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: James Clark on November 02, 2016, 09:02:29 pm
I'm partial to the geometry and tonal variance in 1.  I'll be curious about other opinions.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: adias on November 03, 2016, 12:15:22 am
Great tonality. Love #1.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: thierrylegros396 on November 03, 2016, 04:43:15 am
I'm partial to the geometry and tonal variance in 1.  I'll be curious about other opinions.

The first is nice, but I found that there is something missing bottom right.

Number 2 is my favorite.

Thierry

Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: francois on November 03, 2016, 05:33:50 am
Initially I thought that #1 was a bit unsettling and it was not love at first sight, mostly due to framing. But after spending some time with it, I like it, framing included. Photo #2 is also fantastic although, ideally I would like to see the "feet" of the rightmost tree included in the frame. The last two shots are not as pleasing with these featureless skies. They are not bad photos but #1 and #2 are on another lever, at least for me.

Edit: missing words… I didn't reread before posting.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 03, 2016, 07:07:53 am
All good but #1 is especially well composed.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 03, 2016, 07:49:57 am
#1 for me: leading line, diagonals, even the clouds are "hugging" the tree tops.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: Mousecop on November 03, 2016, 12:28:35 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Of this group, I think #1 is the most successful. I like the tension generated by the area in the lower right, balanced against the hill in the background.

#2, I'm a bit on the fence. My concern is that the trees towards the right side don't have enough separation. The lower right in general feels a bit too busy. The color version might work a little better.

#3 and #4 are experiments with longer lenses. I think I need to adjust the tones on #3, give the foreground trees a little more definition.

#4... I'm starting to think it doesn't work. Not sure why yet, though.
Title: Re: Stomping Around the Sierras
Post by: Sean H on November 05, 2016, 07:19:12 pm
+1
All good but #1 is especially well composed.