Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Telecaster on November 02, 2016, 02:00:01 pm

Title: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Telecaster on November 02, 2016, 02:00:01 pm
The "Big Island" of Hawai'i, that is.   8)  From ~45 minutes ago. Both pics cropped more rectangular than the native 4:3 but otherwise very lightly tweaked.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 02, 2016, 07:27:01 pm
Beautifully minimalist, both.
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: James Clark on November 02, 2016, 08:17:13 pm
I like them both.  As an aside, I often struggle with this sort of shot because the "rough" water textures and the dark blue color conflict with what I'm trying to do with the rest the image.
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Telecaster on November 02, 2016, 08:39:08 pm
James, yes, a glassy ocean surface would "complete the æsthetical picture."  :)  Ain't gonna happen here, though, so I just went with the texture. The kona (west, dry) side of Hawai'i (the island) is great for such sunrise photos, especially at this time of year, because the sky varies so much from day to day. Right now in fact, early afternoon, it's so cloudy that if I were at home I might be irked at the prospect of cold autumn rain, but here the clouds are welcome as they moderate temps during the usually hottest part of the day and also reduce UV.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: James Clark on November 02, 2016, 08:55:48 pm
James, yes, a glassy ocean surface would "complete the æsthetical picture."  :)  Ain't gonna happen here, though, so I just went with the texture. The kona (west, dry) side of Hawai'i (the island) is great for such sunrise photos, especially at this time of year, because the sky varies so much from day to day. Right now in fact, early afternoon, it's so cloudy that if I were at home I might be irked at the prospect of cold autumn rain, but here the clouds are welcome as they moderate temps during the usually hottest part of the day and also reduce UV.

-Dave-

I hear ya.  I was in Kauai (on the wet side) last week and had a similar but opposite problem.  Heavy fog and drizzle.  My solution is attached :)
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Telecaster on November 02, 2016, 09:23:35 pm
My solution is attached :)

Yeah, works for me!  :D

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: adias on November 03, 2016, 12:16:18 am
Beautiful!
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 03, 2016, 07:51:43 am
#1 for me, much more mystery and "glow". Just a small nit, probably it's me, but it looks tilted to the right?
Title: Re: Pre-dawn on the Island
Post by: Telecaster on November 03, 2016, 12:57:05 pm
Paulo, there is a slight "tilt" to the right, but it's built into the terrain.  :)  Some of what look like purely tonal bands are actually haze-obscured contours in the mountain.

-Dave-