Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: barry685 on November 02, 2016, 08:59:12 am

Title: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: barry685 on November 02, 2016, 08:59:12 am
With an Ipf 6300 I have been using Breathing color Glossy Crystaline. Does anyone have experience using this with a Z3200? Is it to heavy to use? What paper preset would you use? Are there any other glossy canvases that would be recommended to use with the z3200 that "Supposedly" do not have to be varnished?
Thanks
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: John Nollendorfs on November 02, 2016, 01:04:46 pm
Barry:
There are no canvas's that should not be varnished in reality! All microporous inkjet receptor coatings open the paper to all sorts of atmospheric contaminates, so unless you are framing them under glass, their life expectancy is up for grabs. Most people doing canvas prints for hire, print them on water resistant matte canvas, and then apply a vinyl acrylic top coat to seal the surface and protect the print. Glossy canvas's are a "cheap out" way of getting a gloss look without applying a protective coating.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: barry685 on November 02, 2016, 01:22:29 pm
Are there any water based glossy coatings that come in spray cans?
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: John Nollendorfs on November 02, 2016, 04:14:34 pm
Barry:
No, there don't seem to be any. But you could use any of the canned sprays such as Krylon to seal the microporous coating, but it wouldn't give you much physical protection comparable the to vinyl acrylic products.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: shadowblade on November 03, 2016, 01:52:45 am
Why not use Lyve and Timeless Gloss? It gives a better and longer-lasting product than gloss canvasses, unless you're using Silverada or similar specifically for a metallic effect.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: barry685 on November 04, 2016, 08:56:38 am
I don't have room for a spray booth. I did try rolling a varnish on but had to much difficulty keeping canvas clean.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: dgberg on November 04, 2016, 10:05:38 am
Timeless is quicker drying then Glamor.
Light coats is the trick. If you put it on too heavy it dries way too slow.
Run your material through a strainer to get rid of any little clumps or dirt.
Use a clean foam roller and your good to go.
Do not do outside as airborne particles cannot be controlled.
If you cannot spray rolling is as easy as it gets.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: barry685 on November 04, 2016, 11:00:08 am
Will try timeless when I get a chance.
Thanks everybody.
Title: Re: Z3200 and glossy canvas
Post by: donbga on November 04, 2016, 04:08:39 pm
I don't have room for a spray booth. I did try rolling a varnish on but had to much difficulty keeping canvas clean.

FWIW, I do recall seeing a video by Dan Burkholder that showed his build of a movable spray booth that could be disassembled for storage though that was several years ago. I did something similar though not as large or elaborate since I use canned sprays and don't print canvas, so my needs were a bit different. Never the less the DIY vid. provided some good ideas for the do it yourselfer.