Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on November 01, 2016, 06:28:53 pm

Title: Sunset creek walk
Post by: MattBurt on November 01, 2016, 06:28:53 pm
I frequently take walks either alone, with the dog, or with my family next to this nearby creek that flows through some scenic ranchland. 
I'd been striking out there lately photographically. Getting grey or clear sunsets and sunrises when I was hoping for color or scattered clouds.
It seemed it was going to be another of those lackluster sunsets a few nights ago. I waded out to this little island and tried anyway. I was fortunate to get this shot of my dog standing still for 2.5s. Color was pretty minimal anyway so I decided to take it all out for a mono image. She was focused on some deer on the mountain next to us a few hundred feet above the creek.

(https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5595/30057598774_42b0535cb9_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/MN63VC)IMGP5163-Edit-2 (https://flic.kr/p/MN63VC) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

Feeling somewhat satisfied I was about to pack up and wade back to my side of the creek when a glimmer of color appeared above the horizon. It then started to spread and intensify and shortly after that we had a Great fiery sky for a few minutes and I was in a pretty good spot for it. I took a few exposures and then it all faded to grey again.
This one was my pick of that flurry. I left satisfied. So did Luna the dog. :)

(https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5706/30562823142_caeb0c4549_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/NyJswA)IMGP5181-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/NyJswA) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: francois on November 02, 2016, 05:41:56 am
Both are very fine shots and a good story. It seems like a good place for a walk at the end of the day, quite peaceful. Sometimes, I wish I had something like that around my home!
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 02, 2016, 06:04:15 am
Good photos.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: MattBurt on November 03, 2016, 02:37:38 pm
Thank you both! It is nice to have this kind of place nearby but I have to remind myself of when driving to the city to make a big purchase or see a medical specialist.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 03, 2016, 04:45:22 pm
Thank you both! It is nice to have this kind of place nearby but I have to remind myself of when driving to the city to make a big purchase or see a medical specialist.
Places like this nearby make it all worth while.
Nice.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: MattBurt on November 03, 2016, 06:00:29 pm
I agree!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: Sean H on November 05, 2016, 07:17:27 pm
The first is very well composed. I am envious of your dog and the opportunities you have to go walking and the scenes you just happen to come across. I like the colours in the second shot; and it has interesting curvy lines a different composition from the first. You live in a beautiful location.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 06, 2016, 11:11:03 am
Nice work, Matt. Great spot you live in.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: adias on November 06, 2016, 04:45:51 pm
Great shots!
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: MattBurt on November 07, 2016, 01:16:46 pm
Thanks for all the comments! I am very fortunate to live here and lead the life I do. There are tradeoffs but they are all so worth it.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: claws on November 07, 2016, 05:18:50 pm

The captured water movement works really well against the sky in the mono image.
Title: Re: Sunset creek walk
Post by: MattBurt on November 07, 2016, 05:50:14 pm
Thanks! That was going to be the point of the whole shot but then my dog walked into the frame and froze...