Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: JPlayer on July 05, 2006, 01:34:41 pm
-
I have just bought the 100 2.8 macro. Since I have never had a macro lens before, it gave me pleasure playing with it, and I can see a few other possible uses, such as close up portraits (as portraits are an interest of mine), etc. As it lacks IS, a tripod is an absolute necessity.
The magnification is 1.0, just like the 50mm and the 180mm (although I have not tried these). I would love to get higher than that, closer than that, deeper and smaller than that. There is something beautiful about being able to enlarge very small detail and see on a largish print something that the human eye rarely is exposed to seeing. So, is the MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5 x Macro really what I need?
Does anyone have experience with this lens? Is it worth buying?
Just one more question. Can the 24-105mm 4.0L IS or the 70-200 2.8L IS be converted into macro lenses? Without compromising image quality?
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
-
There are microscopes as well. I would try this site which specializes in macro and microphotography:
The site (http://www.photomacrography.net/)
-
the Canon 500D closeup lens will get you closer with both the 100 macro and non-macro lenses without noticeable loss of quality and can be combined with extension tubes
1.4 and 2x telextenders will work with the 100 macro if you put a 12mm extension tube between the lens and extender - both of these extenders seem to work pretty well with this lens (although if i didn't already have the Canon extenders i'd be tempted to buy Kenkos which will work without the extension tube and retain infinity focus)
the 1-5 makes great photos if you have the right subjects for the magnification and limited distance from the front of the lens
the 100 will give you much better image quality and focus closer than the zooms without screwing around with closeup lenses and tubes which need to be changed to acheive various magnifications
-
ps
if you really need to go hand-held, a flash will do more good than IS
-
> I would love to get higher than that, closer than that, deeper and smaller than that.
Get an extension tube set.
- DL