Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 29, 2016, 02:34:22 pm

Title: autumnal wall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 29, 2016, 02:34:22 pm
Warmer than Iceland! Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 29, 2016, 11:42:33 pm
The light on the wall (both sides) is just lovely.
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: francois on October 30, 2016, 08:24:52 am
Yes, the warm light that brushes the top of the wall makes the shot.
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: petermfiore on October 30, 2016, 09:59:38 am
Beautiful light...and the lower of a  Jack O'Lantern. Very timely.

Petetr
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 30, 2016, 10:13:52 am
Well seen.

Now, I do not see the need to keep the wall, presumably in shadows, so well lit. Nor the grass. Nor color.

When you see something nice, as you did, accentuate it. In this case, treat the right hand diagonal area the same as the left one, i.e., rather dark. And in black & white. And cut the lower portion, so that the final ratio is more like 16:9.

And... ok, enough! Although, it is a critique forum, after all :)
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: RSL on October 30, 2016, 11:19:47 am
I agree with Slobodan, except for the crop.
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 30, 2016, 11:41:14 am
Well seen.

Now, I do not see the need to keep the wall, presumably in shadows, so well lit. Nor the grass. Nor color.

When you see something nice, as you did, accentuate it. In this case, treat the right hand diagonal area the same as the left one, i.e., rather dark. And in black & white. And cut the lower portion, so that the final ratio is more like 16:9.

And... ok, enough! Although, it is a critique forum, after all :)

And I'm looking for critique, so all is well.

Here's a version with the lower right muted as is the upper left. Interestingly, the light on the wall was as it was: I'd lowered the highlights slider a little, but the exposure, shadows, whites and blacks were at zero. In this version, I've pulled both black and white sliders to the left, which perhaps accentuates the sunlit areas.

I have tried it in B&W (it's almost a reflex), but I don't like it much: it loses the lovely warm glow on the wall, which seems to me to be at the heart of the shot. I don't understand the need for a crop, either.

Jeremy
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 30, 2016, 12:15:37 pm
I think the new version is an improvement on an already fine image.
Slobodan does sometimes have something constructive to say, doesn't he?   ;)
I don't think B&W would work as well, because the golden glow of the sunlit part is really essential.
Title: Re: autumnal wall
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 31, 2016, 01:21:38 pm
... I don't understand the need for a crop, either.

Just to reduce the area of ground/wall that doesn't add anything to the image, and concentrate the view on the top of the wall.