Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 28, 2016, 08:01:07 pm

Title: Enchanted Woods
Post by: KMRennie on October 28, 2016, 08:01:07 pm
This reminded me of Tolkien's descriptions of woods that are dangerous to enter. Not so in this case unless the danger is to spend far too long taking photographs. Taken in the Birks of Aberfeldy. All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: adias on October 28, 2016, 08:48:32 pm
Very nice! If I was processing it, I would tone down the green/gold lights up top and would enhance the water highlights.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 28, 2016, 09:48:50 pm
Wow!
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: brandtb on October 28, 2016, 10:00:25 pm
Wonderful image
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 29, 2016, 12:18:09 am
Truly enchanted.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: thierrylegros396 on October 29, 2016, 04:15:16 am
Wow!

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 29, 2016, 06:57:05 am
That's a beaut.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: stamper on October 29, 2016, 07:05:44 am
I like it!
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 29, 2016, 07:14:43 am
At the risk of being merely an echo, that's wonderful.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: luxborealis on October 29, 2016, 09:51:13 am
Beautiful work, Ken. Well seen and executed. I love the patterns in the water; the streaks remind me of ice after a skating party.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Krug on October 29, 2016, 11:58:58 am
Delightful.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Arlen on October 29, 2016, 10:35:37 pm
I was going to say enchanting, but then I saw that Eric stole my word. So I'll just piggyback on his comment.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: francois on October 30, 2016, 08:27:25 am
Beautiful… The vegetation look impenetrable, dense and the warm light makes it almost like a refuge. With a darker sky the place could turn scary!
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Bob_B on October 30, 2016, 08:38:21 am
Very, very nice. I too love the streaked water pattern, as well as the glow in the trees.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: KMRennie on October 31, 2016, 08:20:55 am
Thanks everyone for the comments. The original posted image was done from a jpeg late at night after a few beers. Unfortunately I saved the final version as a jpeg thus losing the adjustment layers. So a complete redo from the RAW file. It has the same feel but is not identical. Any comments welcome. Ken
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 31, 2016, 08:26:14 am
Great spot and composition. I would like to see a darker, more ominous version, with lowered contrast. Hey, it is Halloween today, after all :)
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Arlen on October 31, 2016, 10:16:08 am
I would have liked this one if I hadn't seen the first, but the first one is better IMO. Maybe have a few beers again before working on it?  ;)  Seriously though, I think you can get there by backing off on the contrast a bit and making it slightly darker, as Slobodan suggested. The highlights pop just a little too much.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 31, 2016, 07:22:30 pm
This reminds me that I often used to use Dr. Beers developer formulae back in darkroom days.   ;D
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: francois on November 01, 2016, 05:12:26 am
The new version has more vibrant colors. I cannot say that I prefer the latter image, both are pleasant.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: philaitman on November 01, 2016, 07:35:42 am
I also must be an echo. Lovely/wonderful etc. :)
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: thierrylegros396 on November 01, 2016, 03:49:52 pm
This reminds me that I often used to use Dr. Beers developer formulae back in darkroom days.   ;D

Rochefort 8 gives very good results, trust me  ;) ;)

Thierry
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 01, 2016, 07:15:26 pm
I would have liked this one if I hadn't seen the first, but the first one is better IMO. Maybe have a few beers again before working on it?  ;)  Seriously though, I think you can get there by backing off on the contrast a bit and making it slightly darker, as Slobodan suggested. The highlights pop just a little too much.

+1

Jeremy
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 02, 2016, 06:09:04 am
Good light. I like the tendril-like water, and how it mimics the tendrils of the branches.
Title: Re: Enchanted Woods
Post by: KMRennie on November 03, 2016, 12:51:23 pm
Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions and comments. I produced the second version on a desktop machine with a calibrated large gamut monitor set to 110cd/m2. When I tried to darken the file with or without decreasing the contrast the file started to look muddy and the soft proofed file looked unprintable. For this version I have gone back to using my calibrated laptop set to 160cd/m2. So 2 versions, this one or one based on this for digital projection and a slightly lighter brighter version based on the second version with some of the saturation removed that will print dark and moody but not blocked/ muddy. All comments welcome
Ken